DeeWee

add person sortfield update

When I want to add a person, after going through the options “related/man/woman,…”, I finally get the input window. I go to the set-up window, where I define the tags I want to enter, check the fields I want to update for each tag and also choose the style I want to use (which is one defined by myself). I leave the set-up window and finally get the possibility to input my data. This is where my problem comes up: when I enter the person’s last name, putting the cursor in the SortName field automatically updates this field. However, when I do the same thing with the person’s first name, the sort field is not updated and I have to input this myself at the risk of making mistakes. This problem occurs only with this field (first name). What can possibly be the reason for this. When inputting data in Tags (add new tag) the automatic update of the (first name) sort field works fine. I am using the latest TMG version.

Dirk

Guest PhilDee
When I want to add a person, after going through the options “related/man/woman,…”, I finally get the input window. I go to the set-up window, where I define the tags I want to enter, check the fields I want to update for each tag and also choose the style I want to use (which is one defined by myself). I leave the set-up window and finally get the possibility to input my data. This is where my problem comes up: when I enter the person’s last name, putting the cursor in the SortName field automatically updates this field. However, when I do the same thing with the person’s first name, the sort field is not updated and I have to input this myself at the risk of making mistakes. This problem occurs only with this field (first name). What can possibly be the reason for this. When inputting data in Tags (add new tag) the automatic update of the (first name) sort field works fine. I am using the latest TMG version.

Dirk

Dirk,

Are you using setup on the Add Person screen each time you add a person? That shouldn't be necessary. Once you have the screen configured those settings should 'stick' until you either change them again or reset to the defaults. What changes are you making to the Add Person setup?

Do you have the same problem if you use the Standard Place and Name Styles or only when you use your custom styles?

Phil

Wholly Genes Tech Support

Dirk,

Are you using setup on the Add Person screen each time you add a person? That shouldn't be necessary. Once you have the screen configured those settings should 'stick' until you either change them again or reset to the defaults. What changes are you making to the Add Person setup?

Do you have the same problem if you use the Standard Place and Name Styles or only when you use your custom styles?

Actually I am not using set-up each time, but I just wanted to point out which procedure I followed at the beginning and which settings (such as limited number of tags, custom style...) I am using. The mentioned problem does not occur when I use the US Standard style, but only when I use my own (Dutch) style. However, when I use my own style, I get a drop-down menu for each field (an Englisch and a Dutch description) in the set-up window. When I change the dutch description (by using the drop-down menu) for the particular label ("Voornamen") into the English description ("GivenName"), TMG appears to create a new style (Titel, Prefix, GivenName, Tussenvoegsel,...) i.e. a style with the original Dutch labels except for the one I changed with the drop-down menu (viz. GivenName). With this additional style (which I actually don't want) the automatic update of the (GivenName) sort field works fine as well.

When I double click on a person's name in the main window, I get the Input Tage window and there, the automatic update works fine with my custom style.

Dirk

Dirk