Shaundm

Living people - Witholding info for security reasons

I am using the descendant narrative report. My living people are suppressed, so it says "are still living".

However when you look at his parent, who is dead, it says, he married 'name', which gives the mothers maiden name.

Obviously I do not want to exclude all marriage details for the whole report (which would solve it but no marriages would be shown at all), but only one marriage before the living person.

How can this be fixed, easily? Any ideas?

I am using the descendant narrative report.  My living people are suppressed, so it says "are still living".

However when you look at his parent, who is dead, it says, he married 'name', which gives the mothers maiden name. 

In my view, one should either include details on living people, or don't print anything on them (there are people with strong views on either side of this issue). I see no point in including some names and not others (use of the "mother's maiden name" as a security word is foolish - there are many sources for this information available from potential mal-doers). If you really want to protect the living, simply exclude them entirely from the report.

But, if you still want to include the names of living people, but exclude this one person, there is a simple way. Send the report to a word processor, then edit out the offending information before printing the report.

I am quite happy for living not to be there at all.

But how do I do this simply? I would of thought that by having the not show living people box ticked it would not show them.

I would just like to select something that removes these living people...... but how...

Thanks

I am quite happy for living not to be there at all.

But how do I do this simply?  I would of thought that by having the not show living people box ticked it would not show them.

I'm afraid it's not altogether simple to remove just specific people. The easiest way is to reduce the number of generations in the report so they aren't included. But, that may also eliminate some non-living people that you want to include.

The way to exclude exactly those you want is to make a temporary data set that doesn't include those you want to omit, and make the report from that data set. One way to do that is:

1. Use the Focus Group to select those you want to include in the report (doesn't matter if you include extras, just be sure you don't include those you want left out.

2. Use the List of People report to create a temporary data set. Tell it to include those in the Focus Group, then, in Options, on the Secondary Output screen, tell it to make a new Project or Data Set containing only those people in the list (i.e., those in the Focus Group).

Now, run the Descendant Narrative from that Data Set or Project.

Thanks very much. I will get on to it. Kind of hoping there was a very easy way but never mind. It seems simple enough.

Shaun