Shaundm

Printing to Word - Descendant Narrative

I want to print my descendant narrative chart to MS Word. I have selected Word as the output. It seems to go to do it but then I get a window that says

16 Bit windows sub system

c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt

The system file is not suitable for running MS DOS & windows applications.

Any ideas why I can not print to word?

Thanks

I want to print my descendant narrative chart to MS Word.  I have selected Word as the output.  It seems to go to do it but then I get a window that says

16 Bit windows sub system

c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt

The system file is not suitable for running MS DOS & windows applications.

Any ideas why I can not print to word?

Thanks

If you search Google for: wholly genes autoexec.nt , you will find a couple of earlier messages on this subject, with a suggested fix. Note that you will have to go to the Google _cached_ versions of the messages; the originals are not there.

If you cannot find them or have any questions, let us know. I can give you the gist of the messages.

Virginia

This is the message within the cache version

"

This is a Windows error. to correct the problem, insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive and clicking start --> Run and entering:

expand X:\i386\autoexec.nt_ c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt

Replace X:\ with your CD ROM drive letter.

If you do not have the Windows CD, check your documentation for repairing Windows.

"

I have a dell machine that does not come with a CD for XP. Can I just type the command above??? I don't want to do anything to muck up the PC as its a new one.

Thanks

The Windows CD should be included with your Dell package. My Dell is a couple of years old, but includes the CD. It is in a green cardboard envelope, 6"x8", sealed in plastic, labeled 'Microsoft Windows Home Edition, For distribution with a new Dell PC only'. The CD says 'Operating System' on it.

Is your Word an older version?

If this problem just cropped up, is it possible that an anti-virus or anti-spyware program might have removed that file in error?

Virginia

I believe that Dell do not issue the disks anymore with XP on (due to miss use?). Instead they issue a diagnostic disc which reverts your PC back to the factory settings as I understand, to the state when it arrived.

I have brought 2 new PC's lately and both have the diagnostic disc rather than a disc with XP.

Word is the latest version I think which is 2003.

I have not run a virus check recently either, but have done in the past.

Is all I need to do is to extract the file?

Thanks for your help

I believe that Dell do not issue the disks anymore with XP on (due to miss use?).  Instead they issue a diagnostic disc which reverts your PC back to the factory settings as I understand, to the state when it arrived.

I have brought 2 new PC's lately and both have the diagnostic disc rather than a disc with XP.

Word is the latest version I think which is 2003.

I have not run a virus check recently either, but have done in the past.

Is all I need to do is to extract the file?

Thanks for your help

Go to Help on the Start button, look at 'Repair' and see what the options are. The missing file is probably cached on your hard disk and it will be just a question of extracting it with the correct command.

Virginia

Its a missing file, this is the fix, its a XP problem or something...

To verify whether you have the file, type "%windir%/system32/" in the address bar of an Explorer window. If there is no AUTOEXEC.NT file proceed as follows:

1. Browse to "%windir%/repair/" (usually "C:\WINDOWS\repair")

2. Right-Click and Copy the AUTOEXEC.NT file

3. Browse to "%windir%/system32/" (usually "C:\WINDOWS\System32")

4. Right-Click inside the window and Paste the file

Its a missing file, this is the fix, its a XP problem or something...

To verify whether you have the file, type "%windir%/system32/" in the address bar of an Explorer window. If there is no AUTOEXEC.NT file proceed as follows:

1.    Browse to "%windir%/repair/" (usually "C:\WINDOWS\repair")

2.    Right-Click and Copy the AUTOEXEC.NT file

3.    Browse to "%windir%/system32/" (usually "C:\WINDOWS\System32")

4.    Right-Click inside the window and Paste the file

Did that work for you?

Virginia