Robert Allen

Tree Pruning Using List of People

I am separating a project of 1048 individuals into two projects using the List of People technique with a temporary flag of KEEP (N/Y). I know there are two distinct parts of the project as it is only a marriage (tag deleted) between the two parts. I set the KEEP flag to Y for one of the patriarchs and did repeated List of People runs with KEEP=Y filter, select spouses, ancestors, and descendants, and secondary output to set KEEP=Y. I stopped the filtering when no further additions were indicated. The following chart shows the successive counts for filter hits, spouses, ancestors, descendants, and total people.

Combined Filter 1 97 204 538 675 684 687 688 688

Plus Spouses 1 54 6 124 0 0 1 0 0

Plus Ancestors 0 95 0 107 2 0 1 0 0

Plus Descendants 95 0 328 0 7 3 0 0 0

Total People 97 246 538 769 684 687 689 688 688

When I change the secondary output to create a new project, I get 757 individuals written to the new project, even though the total people filtered never gets above 688. (The KEEP=N secondary output has the other 291 individuals, so the total is still 1048.)

Can anyone explain why KEEP=Y filter never gets above 688 but still sets Y for the 757 individuals? Some of the combined filter counts don't seem to jibe with the previous total people count either. Is there a bug in TMG or am I missing something obvious?

Your suggestion prompted me to sort my pick list by user id number and sure enough there are occasions where two or more names are attached to the same user id. In all cases that I have seen so far, it is the same person with maiden name versus married or remarried name. I guess I have some cleanup to do. This project was imported from another product's data base.

A wild guess:  Are there 688 people with 757 names?

Dale

Dale,

to see how many people, names, events etc. exist in your project go to File > Project Summary.