dgrant

Multiple Surnames

How do I enter multiple surnames?

Norwegians are nortorious for changing their surname.

For example, Soneva Langeberg changed her surname at least three times before she was married. Soneva Langeberg > Soneva Rustan > Soneva Peterson.

I know that I can add all of these in separate "Name Variation" tags but these do not print on most reports. The relatives then began to question my accuracy as they know her as Soneva Peterson or Soneva Rustan.

Do you have any recommendations for people with multiple surnames?

Thanks!

dgrant,

I suggest you read Chapter 5 of GTMOOTMG. In the section on Name Styles, it has a good section on Norwegian names. Also, I did a presentation yesterday to the Arlington RUG (TMG/UFT Users group) on Name Styles. It will be uploaded to our webpage early next week and available from the DOWNLOADS page.. http://www.rootsusers.org It will be freely available for the first month or so. An article will follow in the Newsletter.

Janis Parkison Rodriguez

Lansdowne, VA

How do I enter multiple surnames?

Norwegians are nortorious for changing their surname.

For example, Soneva Langeberg changed her surname at least three times before she was married. Soneva Langeberg > Soneva Rustan > Soneva Peterson.

I know that I can add all of these in separate "Name Variation" tags but these do not print on most reports. The relatives then began to question my accuracy as they know her as Soneva Peterson or Soneva Rustan.

Do you have any recommendations for people with multiple surnames?

Thanks!

How interesting. I definitely don't even pretend to understand things, Norwegian.

Is the birth surname considered primary?

Does one have to go to court, like in the US, to legally change one's surname?

How does the government keep track of taxes, fines, etc.<g>?

How do family members keep track of each other<gg>?

An added possibility to the ones already discussed, is to list the surnames in date order at the end of the TMG given name field. Put the birth surname in the surname field to maintain birth family considerations.

This way every surname will appear in all reports and especially in VCF charts.

Good luck on this one,

Mike Talbot