crowzee2

Program Running Slow

;) When I upgraded from v. 5 to v. 6 I noticed that the program ran a lot slower. I hoped that some of the things in this lates 6.8 update would help but it still runs really slow. I have tried all of the maintenance things under the file menu with no luck. I have very few exhibits in and under 500 people. For instance, it takes a full 10 seconds for the Preferences box to come up. I know I have a lot to learn about TMG. I have only started using TMG in the past year and a half and only seriously in the past few months. I have a relatively fast computer, 1.6 GHz Pentium 4 with 512 MB of RAM. I regularly run clean disk and defragmenter so those are not a problem. Any more suggestions for me? Edited by crowzee2

On my PC, which is similar to yours, (1.7GHz, 512MB, Windows XP), TMG v6.08 opens the Preferences window in less than 2 seconds. Project size for that operation shouldn't matter, but my project has 25K people.

I don't know why your performance is so much worse, but clearly there is something wrong.

;) When I upgraded from v. 5 to v. 6 I noticed that the program ran a lot slower.  I hoped that some of the things in this lates 6.8 update would help but it still runs really slow.  I have tried all of the maintenance things under the file menu with no luck.  I have very few exhibits in and under 500 people.  For instance, it takes a full 10 seconds for the Preferences box to come up.  I know I have a lot to learn about TMG.  I have only started using TMG in the past year and a half and only seriously in the past few months.  I have a relatively fast computer, 1.6 GHz Pentium 4 with 512 MB of RAM.  I regularly run clean disk and defragmenter so those are not a problem.  Any more suggestions for me?

Do you have spy-ware and virus protection programs that are up to date? If not, get them, that could be your problem.

Good luck,

Mike Talbot

;) When I upgraded from v. 5 to v. 6 I noticed that the program ran a lot slower.  I hoped that some of the things in this lates 6.8 update would help but it still runs really slow.  I have tried all of the maintenance things under the file menu with no luck.  I have very few exhibits in and under 500 people.  For instance, it takes a full 10 seconds for the Preferences box to come up.  I know I have a lot to learn about TMG.  I have only started using TMG in the past year and a half and only seriously in the past few months.  I have a relatively fast computer, 1.6 GHz Pentium 4 with 512 MB of RAM.  I regularly run clean disk and defragmenter so those are not a problem.  Any more suggestions for me?

My first message was correct but too simplistic. Use Windows Task Manager to help diagnose your problem.

To get more data on your problem, exit all of your programs.

Hold down the [alt] and [ctrl] keys and press the [del] key. A window will appear. Click on the Performance Tab. You will see a moving graph showing the CPU usage plotted against time.

The % usage should be close to zero, certainly under 5 % (not counting short duration spikes). If not some program of which you are unaware is running. If usage is high, seek professional help.

If the usage is low, then execute TMG. The usage will be high for a couple of minutes while TMG loads and initializes itself. The usage should then drop to what it was before TMG was executed. Mine does. If usage is high seek TMG Tech Support.

There are two other tabs that will provide additional information. Click on the Applications Tab. There should be nothing in the list other than The Master Genealogist.

Click on the Processes Tab. There should be around 35 or 40 processes running. I know of no legitimate processes with a name in all caps.

Too get more data, RE-BOOT windows and repeat the above.

Good luck,

Mike Talbot

I have tried all of the different things, the cpu usage with TMG running is low but the spikes are higher than they are when it is not running. I guess I will try tech support. I don't know if they will be able to help me any. This is the only program that I have this problem with, running slow I mean, and it began as soon as I upgraded.

I had the exact same problem. TMG6 was practically USELESS (~20 seconds to load a tag for entry) and TMG5 worked like a charm, all with the same computer settings. None of the standard suggestions from tech support helped. After a while, I figured out a work-around, a poor one but a workable one. By playing around with settings, I traced the problem back to my printer setup. Whenever I had a network printer installed as the Windows default, TMG ground to a halt. My workaround was to install a non-existent printer as the local printer & set that as default. I could still set my network printer as my chosen printer in TMG's printer setup and have it work fine. The problem wasn't with the printer/TMG combination; the problem was with having a network printer as Windows default. No one was able to explain this, as others on the forum with network printers haven't had this problem. Maybe this is an issue with just my computer, but it's a simple enough thing to try on yours.

The problem wasn't with the printer/TMG combination; the problem was with having a network printer as Windows default.  No one was able to explain this, as others on the forum with network printers haven't had this problem.  Maybe this is an issue with just my computer, but it's a simple enough thing to try on yours.

Wow! I upgraded to a new computer a few months ago. When I did, I changed my default printer to a network printer also. I've tried to figure out why the response time was slower than my old computer even though the new computer had a faster processor, faster hard drive, more and faster memory, etc.

I timed opening my project with the network printer as default and consistantly get ~30 seconds. I just changed the default to a direct connected printer (but turned off) and it changed to 7 seconds to open the same project. When adding citations, there was a 3-5 second delay before the citation window would open. With the direct connect printer it's instantaneous.

You aren't the only one with the problem.

Kevin

(currently running 6.07)