On the Chart Options screen > Data Types tab> Box Contents menu, I believe I have figured out the output format of most of the options, but I'm not sure about what gets inserted with the Memo component and why there are several Memo components within each tag type. What gets outputted when the Memo component is selected and where does that information come from? Also, what option (and where) do I change if I want to get a place of Oneida, NY, instead of Oneida, Madison County, New York?

Is there somewhere in Help that goes into more detail about this whole process?

Polly H

What gets outputted when the Memo component is selected and where does that information come from?

A Memo in TMG can be broken into 9 parts by the successive use of the "||" (no quotes) symbol.

A Memo of the form

First Part || Second Part || Third Part || etc

means that you can select to output in VCF the particular part of the Memo.

where does that information come from? Also, what option (and where) do I change if I want to get a place of Oneida, NY, instead of Oneida, Madison County, New York?

As far as I know, there is no equivalent checkbox in any VCF output (as there is on the Places tab of of Options for the Individual Narrative report)

viz. "Abbreviate states/provinces in the output"

Such an option would be useful, but has the weakness that it can not be applied selectively on a country by country basis. It would not work if you use place styles. In UK usage you would want it to apply to the County field not the State field.

A Memo in TMG can be broken into 9 parts by the successive use of the "||" (no quotes) symbol.

A Memo of the form

As far as I know, there is no equivalent checkbox in any VCF output (as there is on the Places tab of of Options for the Individual Narrative report)

Such an option would be useful, but has the weakness that it can not be applied selectively on a country by country basis. It would not work if you use place styles. In UK usage you would want it to apply to the County field not the State field.

I am assuming that the parts of the Memo are entered in the Memo field of the tag in TMG. That means that if you have memos set to print in footnotes, whatever you put in the Memo field so that it shows up in charts will also show up in footnotes. Is that correct?

A Memo of the form

I am assuming that the parts of the Memo are entered in the Memo field of the tag in TMG. That means that if you have memos set to print in footnotes, whatever you put in the Memo field so that it shows up in charts will also show up in footnotes. Is that correct?