patsy

Adjusting margins - Journal Report - after export

After I export a Journal Report and open it in Word 2002, I am unable to adjust the page margins. The right side of the text is cut off, and the only way to fix it is to revert to 0.5" margins on all sides.

I would like a 1" margin on all four sides.

(I can change page margins in WordPerfect, however.)

Thanks!

After I export a Journal Report and open it in Word 2002, I am unable to adjust the page margins. The right side of the text is cut off, and the only way to fix it is to revert to 0.5" margins on all sides.

Thanks!

Have you tried "File>Page Setup" menu?

Have you tried switching between Layouts on the "View" menu?

Have you tried "File>Page Setup" menu?

Have you tried switching between Layouts on the "View" menu?

I was using File>Page Setup. Appears the same in Normal or Print view.

The page prints properly, but it is off the margin in either view in Word. The only problem with the print page is that the graphic line above the page number breaks to two lines. That's actually easy to fix.

I also tried opening and closing Word after I changed the margin, but the first page is still cutting off words on the right margin.

This is obviously a Word problem, not a TMG problem.

File attached - 2 pages.

Thanks for your help.

JLeiter1706MD222.DOC

I was using File>Page Setup. Appears the same in Normal or Print view.

The page prints properly, but it is off the margin in either view in Word. The only problem with the print page is that the graphic line above the page number breaks to two lines. That's actually easy to fix.

I also tried opening and closing Word after I changed the margin, but the first page is still cutting off words on the right margin.

This is obviously a Word problem, not a TMG problem.

File attached - 2 pages.

Thanks for your help.

It was possible to recover all the text that was clipped in your file by widening the margins. There does seem to be some inconsistency from that point onward.

Use of Edit>Select All may help

Also, setting margins in Word 2002 File>Page Setup to 0,0,0,0, all around after using Select All may give better results.

I was looking your file out of curiosity. Although I didn't find the solution I did notice a couple of things using Word 2000.

The problem only appeared on the first page. If I copied text from the first page and pasted it towards the bottom of the page, the text that flowed onto the second page appeared correct. Also, when using 'select all' and copying the text into a new document the copied text appeared correct in the new document. Although I'm a believer that a "workaround" is not the same as a solution, this could be one viable alternative.

I have never seen this problem and find it interesting. A Word guru should be able to figure it out. I suspect (but couldn't find) a problem with the paragraph style or within a page or section break on page one. I couldn't find anything different between the settings of page 1, which had problems with the display, and page 2 which displayed correctly.

I was looking your file out of curiosity. Although I didn't find the solution I did notice a couple of things using Word 2000.

The problem only appeared on the first page. If I copied text from the first page and pasted it towards the bottom of the page, the text that flowed onto the second page appeared correct. Also, when using 'select all' and copying the text into a new document the copied text appeared correct in the new document. Although I'm a believer that a "workaround" is not the same as a solution, this could be one viable alternative.

I have never seen this problem and find it interesting. A Word guru should be able to figure it out. I suspect (but couldn't find) a problem with the paragraph style or within a page or section break on page one. I couldn't find anything different between the settings of page 1, which had problems with the display, and page 2 which displayed correctly.

Will try a workaround. I didn't do any reformatting from the file produced by TMG. It's even worse in WordPerfect. WordPerfect resizes the margins, leaving LARGE gaps, like a half a page, in the text. Even using Reveal Codes, I couldn't get the text to move up.

Thank you for your reply. I think this is a word processor problem, and I've got a workaround that I can live with.

Patsy, if you're selecting WordPerfect 8, try 5.1.  That seems to often work better for me (I'm using WP12).

Virginia

Yes, Virginia, . . . . seems like there was a thread on Wordperfect footnote margins a couple of forum downsizings ago.....

Guess everybody might get around this one by just editing the default TMG Journal ini file and changing the margins there?? Or does that present other problems??

Exporting the Journal file as RTF and editing the margins in the RTF file before it gets to Word is another possibility. However, it seemed that everything worked OK in my version of Word 2002, which was part of Works 2005. One surprise was that there is no selection of printers, which could affect Margin Settings, etc. in Word unless on a network.

So be sure to check that the default printer you have selected in Control Panel is the one you intend to use with Word 2002.

Change Topic to Chart Printing:

Oh yes, one more time for those who are using Large Format Printer Plotters for charts: Word can be used to determine unprintable "margins", up to Tabloid size, by setting all margins to 0,0,0,0. Word will then reset margins to minimums, if all goes well. Results are sporadic with some older HP drivers, but with a few re-boots, a typical Left/Right setting in Landscape Mode on an HP 755CM Designjet seems to be 0.68 inches.

John M.

Thanks!

FWIW I think it works OK in Word 2003. See the attached and let us know if it's right.

__eiter1706MD222a.DOC

FWIW I think it works OK in Word 2003. See the attached and let us know if it's right.

I forgot to adjust the right margin in the attachment. Here is it (still looks good)

Dick

JLeiter1706MD222b.DOC

I forgot to adjust the right margin in the attachment.  Here is it (still looks good)

Dick

Looks perfect in your attached file! I think it's an issue with my particular version of Word.

Thanks very much,

Patsy

Guess everybody might get around this one by just editing the default TMG Journal ini file and changing the margins there?? Or does that present other problems??

Exporting the Journal file as RTF and editing the margins in the RTF file before it gets to Word is another possibility. . . .

Thanks John,

Both good suggestions.

Patsy