kathy_kult

GEDCOM Export for Exhibit titles

I asked about this several weeks ago, but never heard a reply from anyone. So I'm asking again, because I need a solution to this problem.

The problem is, when generating a GEDCOM file, TMG exports the exhibit's title from the "topic" field, rather than the "caption" field. Since the "Topic" field is only 30 characters long, is way too restrictive for a title of an exhibit.

According to GEDCOM 5.5 specification, the descriptive_title (TITL) legally has 248 chars. Since the "caption" field is much longer, I would rather have the caption exported to GEDCOM rather than the topic.

If TMG can't change (probably not, for backward-compatibility, unless there's a setting somewhere on GEDCOM export that the "caption" will be exported rather than the "topic"), then how can I personally export the "caption" into the GEDCOM file so that I can run a script on it to manipulate the TITL the way I want? Any ideas?

OH HOW I WISH I COULD GET AN ANSWER TO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I find it hard to believe no one else has come across this bug. Is no one else exporting GEDCOM files from TMG??

It's an oversight from when the caption was moved from the Description field to the Caption field. The 2 TITL export is correct. The contents of the Caption field (rather than the Description field) need to be exported to the 2 NOTE tag. I'll report the issue.

Should be:

1 OBJE

2 FORM JPEG

2 TITL topic text

2 FILE (filepath)

2 NOTE caption text

More...

It's going to be:

2 NOTE caption text; description text

or

2 NOTE caption text

or

2 NOTE description text

depending on what data is available to export.

Edited by Jim Byram

Jim,

Thank you so much for looking into this!

Exporting the "caption" to GEDCOM's NOTE element would be closer to a solution, but unfortunately it doesn't really solve the issue. In my opinion, the "caption" should be going into the "TITL" element, the "description" should be going into the "NOTE", and "topic" shouldn't even be exported at all.

That's because a "topic" is a categorization, a word or short phrase that is used to group objects with other common objects of the same "topic", such as for generation of a "topical index". In addition, "topic" in TMG is only 30 characters long, appropriate for a "topic", but not for a "title" of an object.

The title of a graphic is often much longer than just 30 characters, and according to GEDCOM standard, the TITL element has a limit of 248 characters.

However, I understand backward-compatibility issues for updating software... so if the only fix that can happen is to export the "caption" to GEDCOM's "NOTE", I'll take it!!! I can always run a script on the GEDCOM to move the NOTE to the TITL after exporting the GEDCOM from TMG.

Thanks for listening -

Kathy Kult

It's an oversight from when the caption was moved from the Description field to the Caption field. The 2 TITL export is correct. The contents of the Caption field (rather than the Description field) need to be exported to the 2 NOTE tag. I'll report the issue.

Should be:

1 OBJE

2 FORM JPEG

2 TITL topic text

2 FILE (filepath)

2 NOTE caption text

More...

It's going to be:

2 NOTE caption text; description text

or

2 NOTE caption text

or

2 NOTE description text

depending on what data is available to export.