pktropics

Fatal Error Exception code=C0000005

Using V6.08. Recently started getting the dreaded "Fatal Error Exception code=C0000005" when I "Add" a new Source. This effectively means I can't add any new data to the database.

Tried optimising and validating file, but made no difference; upgraded to V6.09, but problem persists. Used "List" people and secondary output to try and set up a new project with the same data, but this process aborted with another "Fatal Error Exception code=C0000005"!

From previous threads, I gather that once you get this message there's not much you can do to fix it.

Can someone tell me one way or the other if this is the case?

If it is, then I'll go back to the most recent unafflicted back-up, and reenter lost data, rather than waste time trying to rectify the existing file.

Any advice will be appreciated.

pktropics

No replies to date!

The company likewise has not responded to a direct question as to whether or not the project is recoverable once you get the dreaded Fatal Error Exception Code message.

I take this silence as confirmation that recovery is a lost cause and its time to revert to the last recoverable back-up.

pktropics

Edited by pktropics

I've analyzed many C0000005 errors and don't believe that I've ever seen one that is data specific. These errors almost always have to do with timing and memory management. You didn't include an example of an error from the log to show what's involved. The error log is C:\WINDOWS\system32\vfp7rerr.log.

Jim,

This is it:

Fatal error: Exception code=C0000005 @ 2006.06.19 02:46:03 PM. Error log file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\vfp7rerr.log

Called from - frmsourcetypes.mfilllist line 36 {c:\program files\common\libs\sources.vct c:\program files\common\libs\sources.vct}

Called from - listmanager.init line 15 {c:\program files\common\libs\listmanager.vct c:\program files\common\libs\listmanager.vct}

Called from - frmsourcetypes.init line 124 {c:\program files\common\libs\sources.vct c:\program

files\common\libs\sources.vct}

Called from - frmmastersources.madd line 16 {c:\program files\common\libs\sources.vct c:\program files\common\libs\sources.vct}

Called from - frmmastersources.cmdadd.click line 1 {c:\program files\common\libs\sources.vct c:\program files\common\libs\sources.vct}

Called from - tmgmain line 586 {C:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist\tmg\programs\tmgmain.prg c:\program files\the master genealogist\tmg.exe}

This is the subsequent one when creating a copy using list and secondary output

Fatal error: Exception code=C0000005 @ 2006.06.24 10:49:33 AM. Error log file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\vfp7rerr.log

Called from - extracttoproject line 0 { extracttoproject.fxp}

Called from - mcreatenewprj line 0 { runsecoutput.fxp}

Called from - runsecoutput line 0 { runsecoutput.fxp}

Called from - reportobj.mmakereport line 0 { }

Called from - frmrds_people.cmdok.click line 0 { }

Called from - tmgmain line 0 { c:\program files\the master genealogist\tmg.exe}

I don't know whether they're data specific, but they are only occuring with the one project database.

pktropics

Yikes, this just seems to get worse.

Looks like you're right, Jim, its not a data specific problem. Its now affliciting the file I restored from an earlier back-up. Same thing, when I try to Add a Source, the dreaded Fatal Error pops up (see below).

Will this now affect other projects?

I'm not sure that I want to risk even opening any others till its fixed.

So far the company has been less than forthcoming either with a solution or a prognosis about whether it can be fixed at all.

Hmm. Uncomfortable reminder of the great lost citations drama of 2005

Fatal error: Exception code=C0000005 @ 2006.06.27 04:44:18 PM. Error log file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\vfp7rerr.log

Called from - frmsourcetypes.mfilllist line 0 { }

Called from - listmanager.init line 0 { }

Called from - frmsourcetypes.init line 0 { }

Called from - frmmastersources.madd line 0 { }

Called from - frmmastersources.cmdadd.click line 0 { }

pktropics

May I ask what you are referring to when you talk about the "Great Lost Citations Drama of 2005"?

Dave

Yikes, this just seems to get worse.

Looks like you're right, Jim, its not a data specific problem. Its now affliciting the file I restored from an earlier back-up. Same thing, when I try to Add a Source, the dreaded Fatal Error pops up (see below).

Will this now affect other projects?

I'm not sure that I want to risk even opening any others till its fixed.

So far the company has been less than forthcoming either with a solution or a prognosis about whether it can be fixed at all.

Hmm. Uncomfortable reminder of the great lost citations drama of 2005

Fatal error: Exception code=C0000005 @ 2006.06.27 04:44:18 PM. Error log file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\vfp7rerr.log

Called from - frmsourcetypes.mfilllist line 0 { }

Called from - listmanager.init line 0 { }

Called from - frmsourcetypes.init line 0 { }

Called from - frmmastersources.madd line 0 { }

Called from - frmmastersources.cmdadd.click line 0 { }

pktropics

Your data should be fine but send me a project to check to make sure. Send to:

Jim Byram

Did you make any system changes immediately before this started? Install or remove some program? What other programs are running at the same time TMG is running?

My immediate thought is to do a clean program reinstall to try and repair the issue. One of the programmers is analyzing the error messages to see if he can determine more precisely the source of the errors.

"Great Lost Citations Drama of 2005"

About August last year I started noticing that citations were missing from old Tag entries. For a month or two I put this down to my own absentmindedness and figured that I'd probably forgetted to put the citations in when entering the data in the first place. By about September, however, the losses were becoming more frequent and it was clear there was a problemw itht he program. There seemed to be only a few of us with the problem, and it took the company a while to acknowedge it was in the program and not just with specific datasets.

Jim Byram was the one who finally got on top of it and it was later fixed with an upgrade.

pktropics

Your data should be fine but send me a project to check to make sure. Send to:

Jim Byram

Did you make any system changes immediately before this started? Install or remove some program? What other programs are running at the same time TMG is running?

My immediate thought is to do a clean program reinstall to try and repair the issue. One of the programmers is analyzing the error messages to see if he can determine more precisely the source of the errors.

Jim,

I am sending dataset by separate email.

Can't think of any recent changes to system. I run the same datasets on a laptop and the problem also occurred with the this dataset on it.

pktropics

Peter sent a project and I can replicate the C0000005 errors. I've sent the project on to the programmer responsible and will discuss it with him tomorrow.