Shaundm

Storing photo's & Certificates

I have a folder where I store scans of all of my certificates and photos. The ones I wish to import into TMG and attach to events, I copy, resize and compress them so that they are all a standard width in TMG/SS, then import them into TMG.

It works well but the down side is that I have 2 copies of the same file, albeit one has been altered. This does mean that I can revert back to the original if required, and can move to an external hard drive the originals when disk space becomes tight.

Is this the best way to do it?

By 'import' you seem to be saying 'link'. In other words, your exhibits are remaining as external exhibits.

Basically, you're on the right track. You want to always have an original archived uncompressed image file in a format like TIF, PSD or PNG. And you want a second JPG copy processed for TMG documents and Second Site. And maybe a third JPG if the TMG document and SS requirements differ.

You want to get your archive copies periodically copied to a more stable medium such as a CDR or DVDR. And every few years, refresh the copy on optical media to new disks.