Trillemus

Which changes are made to REPEAT.DBF?

Looking on the date and time stamp of the files in the TMG program directory, I recognize that the REPEAT.CDX/DBF/FPT files has changed without using the repeat-feature in the program. Why and which changes are registered?

I also see that the STRINGS.CDX/DBF are changed. The only thing I have done today is changing from Danish to English and visa versa.

I am asking to know the importance of backup and to know if it's safe to copy and overwrite.

/ Kurt

Looking on the date and time stamp of the files in the TMG program directory, I recognize that the REPEAT.CDX/DBF/FPT files has changed without using the repeat-feature in the program. Why and which changes are registered?

The repeat files are changed every time you enter data - it's "remembering" data that you might want to recall with the repeat function.

I also see that the STRINGS.CDX/DBF are changed. The only thing I have done today is changing from Danish to English and visa versa.

It would appear that they record which language you currently using.

I am asking to know the importance of backup and to know if it's safe to copy and overwrite.

Repeat files are not included in any TMG backup - they are considered expendable. If you back them up manually and then overwrite the current files all you do is reset them to a prior set of repeats, losing the most recent ones. Not generally a significant issue.

The Strings files are included in a backup of Customizations, if you check the box to include them (unchecked by default). You should only do this if you have made customizations to a language. The strings files are very large, and it's a waste of time and disk space to back them up if you haven't made any changes you want to keep.