wunner

Filtering on Sources

When I access the Master Source List, it shows the number of times that a source has been cited. What I would like to do, and can't figure out how to do, is to filter my dataset to result in a list of people for whom a particular source is cited.

The reason you can't create a filter for people for whom a particular source is cited is that citations are associated with tags, that is events, names, and relationships, rather than with people.

The most useful approach to find what you are looking for is probably a List of Citations report, with a filter like:

Source Number = [?]

When you run the report you will be asked to supply the source number, and thus you can use the same filter for different sources.

This provides a list of all the tags in which the particular source is cited, including the name of the person associated with the tag.

You could also run a List of Events report with a filter like:

Any Citation... Src Number = [?]

This will identify all the events in which that source is cited, and you could use the secondary output to set a flag if you want, if you really want a list of people. But note that citations to name and relationship tags will not be found by this report. I don't know of a way to find them except for the List of Citations report.

The reason you can't create a filter for people for whom a particular source is cited is that citations are associated with tags, that is events, names, and relationships, rather than with people.

The most useful approach to find what you are looking for is probably a List of Citations report, with a filter like:

Source Number = [?]

When you run the report you will be asked to supply the source number, and thus you can use the same filter for different sources.

This provides a list of all the tags in which the particular source is cited, including the name of the person associated with the tag.

You could also run a List of Events report with a filter like:

Any Citation... Src Number = [?]

This will identify all the events in which that source is cited, and you could use the secondary output to set a flag if you want, if you really want a list of people. But note that citations to name and relationship tags will not be found by this report. I don't know of a way to find them except for the List of Citations report.

Terry...you are amazing. Your suggestion to use a List of Citations report with a Source Number filter did exactly what I wanted. Thanks.