Trillemus

Switching between datasets?

I have a project with two datasets: a copy of my personal set and a new, to which I need to copy one person at a time from the main set. I am working with the new dataset, adding several new information, and therefore I de-activate the main set and only activate it, when copying people.

Activating and de-activating takes (too) many clicks with the mouse. Is there an easy way - a macro, a hotkey or....?

Kind regards

Kurt Hansen

I have a project with two datasets: a copy of my personal set and a new, to which I need to copy one person at a time from the main set. I am working with the new dataset, adding several new information, and therefore I de-activate the main set and only activate it, when copying people.

Activating and de-activating takes (too) many clicks with the mouse. Is there an easy way - a macro, a hotkey or....?

Kind regards

Kurt Hansen

Not that I know of, but why not leave both data sets activated? You don't have to deactivate one data set to be able to work in another. My main project has three data sets all of which I normally have activated although I primarily work only in the main data set, data set 1.

Not that I know of, but why not leave both data sets activated?

Simply because I have some 3-4000 persons in dataset 1 and it's much too confusing to see all these people, when working with the small dataset 2.

In dataset 1 try to make a "model" of a village. I enter houses, farms and land register numbers as persons and I want to tie all these non-persons to people - some from my database and some are new, which does'nt realy fit in my database 1. Therefore I only use copies of my persons.

It's a little difficult to my to explain in English ;-)

Kind regards

Kurt

Simply because I have some 3-4000 persons in dataset 1 and it's much too confusing to see all these people, when working with the small dataset 2.

In dataset 1 try to make a "model" of a village. I enter houses, farms and land register numbers as persons and I want to tie all these non-persons to people - some from my database and some are new, which does'nt realy fit in my database 1. Therefore I only use copies of my persons.

It's a little difficult to my to explain in English ;-)

Kind regards

Kurt

I should have added that all the people in my main dataset are accented so I can tell at a glance whether an individual is in the main dataset or in one of the others. I have over 60,000 in the entire project...

Other than that there is no short cut method to activating or deactivating a dataset...you have to go to the Data Set Manager, select the data set, and click Enable or Disable.

You can use accents to mark the people in each Data Set, then you can easily tell from the color coding which data set you are looking at. The color coding shows in all the views, the Project Explorer, and the Picklist so long as you use the Expanded version.

I should have added that all the people in my main dataset are accented so I can tell at a glance whether an individual is in the main dataset or in one of the others. I have over 60,000 in the entire project...

Ahhh, never thougt of that. Good idea. Thank you :-)

Kind regards

Kurt