Trillemus

Sorting the Project Explorer

I have a new dataset with only a few "people". There is some men and women, but also houses and farms and land register numbers. I have entered a farm with the geographical position as the first name and the land register number as the Surname.

A few examples (G is the given name, S is the surname):

1. G:Havnevej 40, S:23f [farm]

2. G:Romerdammen 3, S:19e [farm]

3. G:Tage, S:Visby Madsen [person]

4. G:Marinus, S:Balle [person]

When sorting the Project Explorer by Given Name, the list looks like this:

Havnevej 40 23f

Romerdammen 3 19e

Tage Visby Madsen

Marinus Balle

When sorting the Project Explorer by Surname, the list looks like this:

23f, Havnevej 40

19e, Romerdammen 3

Visby Madsen, Tage

Balle, Marinus

As far as I can tell, none of the sortings is in any order at all.

Normally I use the Danish language in TMG, but it's the same behavior when switching into English. In both cases I have re-indexed the dataset.

Kind regards

Kurt Hansen

Hi, Kurt,

I tested what you get using TMG Gold Version 6.09 and everything is sorted in the Project Explorer as it should. Are you also using TMG's latest version?

When sorting the Project Explorer by Given Name, the list looks like this:

Havnevej 40 23f

Romerdammen 3 19e

Tage Visby Madsen

Marinus Balle

Sorted by Given name I get: PE_sorting_givenname.jpg

When sorting the Project Explorer by Surname, the list looks like this:

23f, Havnevej 40

19e, Romerdammen 3

Visby Madsen, Tage

Balle, Marinus

Sorted by Surname I get: PE_sorting_surname.jpg

Have you recently used TMG's maintenance tool Validate File Integrity (VFI) - if not I would kindly suggest so. If the first run of VFI reports errors found then please re-run VFI until it reports "No errors found."

Then Optimize your project.

Next question is: are you using custom Name styles?

If so please go to Tools > Master Style List > "highlight" the style you are using for those names > say Edit and make a screenshot of the now showing "Edit Name Style" screen.

Then please attach this screenshot to your next reply may be we can find the "answer" in here.

I tested what you get using TMG Gold Version 6.09 and everything is sorted in the Project Explorer as it should. Are you also using TMG's latest version?

Yes.

Have you recently used TMG's maintenance tool Validate File Integrity (VFI) - if not I would kindly suggest so. If the first run of VFI reports errors found then please re-run VFI until it reports "No errors found."

First run: 20, second run: 0.

Then Optimize your project.

Yep.

Next question is: are you using custom Name styles?

Yes, in Danish.

If so please go to Tools > Master Style List > "highlight" the style you are using for those names > say Edit and make a screenshot of the now showing "Edit Name Style" screen.

Then please attach this screenshot to your next reply may be we can find the "answer" in here.

Okay:

post-266-1159825613_thumb.png

The problem is not solved. Thank you for your reply and for trying to help me :-)

Kind regards

Kurt

Thank you for your reply and for trying to help me :-)

Hi, Kurt,

you're welcome. :)

Thanks for all the additional information and the screenshot.

What I wanted to see is a slightly different one. Sorry for not being precise enough. :huh:

While being in the "Profiler" screen with your Danish name style "highlighted" please click on "Rediger". Now another screen opens "Rediger navneprofil" and that's the one I wanted to look at. If you don't mind may be you can also provide a screenshot of this screen.

Another question / thing to check.

(to see the following it is necessary to run TMG in Advanced Mode for Data Entry - you won't see it if you are in Beginner Mode!!)

Please double-click in the "Detaljer" screen on any of those names which are not sorted correctly.

In the "Emneregistrering" screen on the tab "Basis info." there is a button "Navneprofil" and on the right of it the name style is displayed.

If the style displayed here is not your Danish name style please click on the "Navneprofil" button and change it to the correct one.