currie19

Propagating DNA results throughout the family tree

If one enters a Y-Chromosome (mtDNA) result, there should be an option that allows this information to propagate to everyone related to this person on a strictly male (female) path.

I created two flags yDNA & mtDNA with a default value of N and optional values of Y and ? I then used TMG Utility People > Select DNA Descendants to set the flags to Y. It couldn't be easier. :beer:

:thumbsup: to John Cardinal

If one enters a Y-Chromosome (mtDNA) result, there should be an option that allows this information to propagate to everyone related to this person on a strictly male (female) path.
Why do you want to do that? There is no guarantee that the DNA for the people entered as descendents have the same DNA. Clearly, many will, but mixed in there will be mutations and non-paternity/non-maternity. You've already entered data that says x was the parent of y, so why clone the DNA (deliberate pun!) to the descendants?

I created two flags yDNA & mtDNA with a default value of N and optional values of Y and ? I then used TMG Utility People > Select DNA Descendants to set the flags to Y. It couldn't be easier. :beer:

:thumbsup: to John Cardinal

Thanks. I'll try that.

Why do you want to do that? There is no guarantee that the DNA for the people entered as descendents have the same DNA. Clearly, many will, but mixed in there will be mutations and non-paternity/non-maternity. You've already entered data that says x was the parent of y, so why clone the DNA (deliberate pun!) to the descendants?

John,

You've given good reasons for why someone might not want to use a propagation feature. However, I think the software should provide the option. I would prefer to enter the DNA result, have it propagate (forward, backward, collaterally) along with the comment section, which will say what relative was actually tested. This could be useful for statistical purposes and would allow one to check immediately whether or not there is putative DNA information for the family member being scrutinized.