Excalibur

Advice on HTML capabilites

Toa asked a question in the Pre-Sales Forum about HTML and TMG. Only "authorized" personnel are allowed to respond to questions in the Pre-Sales Forum. I thought maybe some of us might have comments for Toa, so have started this topic in TMG v6. :thumbsup:

I am seeking a genealogy product that will allow me to create a series of interlinked HTML files for my family tree. I currently have 6,500 family records processed via fzip http://members.ozemail.com.au/~acroft/ which does export to HTML however it has minimal ability to adjust the format and I seek an alternative

Does TMG have an ability to generate interlinked HTML webpage files from it's database? If so, what ability is there to adjust the format and "look" of those files?

Thanks

Toa

John responded with the following:

Toa,

TMG has the ability to print most reports in HTML format, and many people have built web sites using TMG's Journal reports or one of the other report formats. TMG users can also export their data to GEDCOM and use one of the GEDCOM-to-HTML site builders. There is a third option, too, and that is to use a companion product named "Second Site". Second Site is tightly integrated with TMG in that Second Site reads the TMG data directly to make a site. Second Site supports most of TMG features including narratives, witnesses, exhibits, and much more. You can control the look of the site, as well as many other characteristics of the site, using one of the hundreds of options available.

You can read about Second Site on the Second Site homepage. You may want to look at some example sites to see what can be done.

Another resource is a list of sites made by TMG users. Many use Second Site, but there are sites made other ways listed there, too. See: http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index.php?showforum=50

I am the author of Second Site, and clearly biased. I suspect some other TMG users will comment on this topic and that will give you some less biased responses! <g>

--------------------

John

Toa, I heartily recommend you take a look at the links John provided in John's post in the Pre-Sales Forum. There are many web sites to review and just as many ways to present a family. TMG has some pretty robust capabilities and can produce just about any kind of HTML you are looking for. On the other hand, Second Site (a companion product for TMG) takes out all the guesswork, is powerful yet simple to use, and offers many formats making it extremely flexible and adaptable. As an example of the power of Second Site, several years ago when I first used Second Site, I downloaded the program and had a completely usable, very nice looking web site within 5 minutes. Since that time I've tweaked and changed things so much that I don't remember what that first attempt actually looked like.

Second Site is obviously the direction I chose to go, but when you look at some of the web sites out there you will see that TMG can adapt to most any direction you choose for yourself. The sheer power of TMG will amaze you when you really get into it.