MMj

Calculating relationships in tags

Hi

Is there any way that a tag can be created that will calculate and show the relationship between 2 principals, or even more ideally, between a principal and a witness? I haven't seen such a thing yet, but it would be really helpful. I have a great many people in my database who were married to each other and who were rather closely related to each other, mostly 2nd or even 1st cousins. It would be really nice to be able to use variables to show this in my narratives. I know that I can hardwire the text into my sentence structure, but since the relationships between people are a wee bit dynamic and evolutionary as I discover more and more about my family, it would be really nice not to have to go back later and change the wording when I find that a relationship was either closer or more distant than I had at first thought. I have encountered many occasions where it would also be nice to be able to specify the relationship between a principal and a witness through a variable.

If such a mechanism does not currently exist in TMG, I would love to see it added to the wish list.

Mike

Guest ProudFossil
Hi

Is there any way that a tag can be created that will calculate and show the relationship between 2 principals, or even more ideally, between a principal and a witness? I haven't seen such a thing yet, but it would be really helpful. I have a great many people in my database who were married to each other and who were rather closely related to each other, mostly 2nd or even 1st cousins. It would be really nice to be able to use variables to show this in my narratives. I know that I can hardwire the text into my sentence structure, but since the relationships between people are a wee bit dynamic and evolutionary as I discover more and more about my family, it would be really nice not to have to go back later and change the wording when I find that a relationship was either closer or more distant than I had at first thought. I have encountered many occasions where it would also be nice to be able to specify the relationship between a principal and a witness through a variable.

If such a mechanism does not currently exist in TMG, I would love to see it added to the wish list.

Mike

Mike:

I posed the same question a year ago and discovered there was no mechanism to automatically generate an event tag which would reflect at least the closest relationship between two individuals. I designed a straightforward tag to show the relationship(s) but do have to periodically go back and check for any changes. It is not too dificult but time consuming. I notice you are from Frederick, Maryland. My wife's ancestors are from Montgomery and Frederick Counties and as you say there was quite a bit of cousin marrying going on there. Her father is her 7th and 9th cousin. I have discovered up to five relationships between two individuals so far.

[P] is Charlene's [M1]<, and her [M2]><, and her [M3]><, and her [M4]><, and her [M5]><, and her [M6]>

where M1 could equal 1st cousin, M2 could equal 3rd cousin 2 times removed, etc., etc., etc. I set the automatic relationship preference on and then get the relationships by using the Relationship Calculator implemented by clicking on that event in the person view.

I am also Mike

Mike:

I posed the same question a year ago and discovered there was no mechanism to automatically generate an event tag which would reflect at least the closest relationship between two individuals. I designed a straightforward tag to show the relationship(s) but do have to periodically go back and check for any changes. It is not too dificult but time consuming. I notice you are from Frederick, Maryland. My wife's ancestors are from Montgomery and Frederick Counties and as you say there was quite a bit of cousin marrying going on there. Her father is her 7th and 9th cousin. I have discovered up to five relationships between two individuals so far.

[P] is Charlene's [M1]<, and her [M2]><, and her [M3]><, and her [M4]><, and her [M5]><, and her [M6]>

where M1 could equal 1st cousin, M2 could equal 3rd cousin 2 times removed, etc., etc., etc. I set the automatic relationship preference on and then get the relationships by using the Relationship Calculator implemented by clicking on that event in the person view.

I am also Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks for the reply. I'll give your tag a tryout. Your approach is perfectly straightforward and will accomplish my task, but it sure would be nice if TMG could add this functionality to the software. When you asked about it a year or so ago, was there any sort of enthusisatic response, or was it a cry in the wilderness?

I have lived in Maryland all of my life. I'm an 11th generation Marylander, having grown up in St. Mary's County about 20 miles from where my earliest Maryland Turner and Wise ancestors started out. I also have a lot of family connections in Charles and Prince George's counties. We have been living in Frederick County for about 5 years now, and I am beginning to look into a few of my Turner ancestors who relocated here in the 19th Century. My 2 Prince George's County families were Sasscer and Gibbons, and they intermarried like crazy during both the 18th and 19th Centuries. I have at least 20 marital connections between those 2 families.

I'm a real newcomer to the subject of genealogy, but I'm having a great time with it.

Mike

Guest ProudFossil

Mike:

The response I got a year ago was at best lukewarm.

As to the Frederick and Montgomery Counties and possible connections, none of the surnames you listed ring a bell. My wife's are Beall, Purdum, Lewis, Browning, Walker, Cheney, Burdette, Day, Jacobs, King, Miles, Watkins, Windsor, plus many more. These were all in Maryland pre 1776. Some were from Prince George's and Charles Counties.

Anyway I hope the custom tag works.

Mike

Hi Mike

I'm not too surprised to hear about the lukewarm response, but I still think it would be a really neat feature to have.

The custom tag has been built and implemented and is working out just fine, so at least I have a work-around.

My Turner and Wise families are my two earliest Maryland families. They were both in Southern MD by about 1655. The others were considerably later, not arriving here until the early 1700s. Most of my people were agricultural, primarily tobacco, and had really close ties to Virginia. When the war broke out in 1861, lots of my ancestors sneaked across the river to Virginia and joined the army there. My great-grandmother, who was born a Turner, died when I was 6 and she was 98. She was a little girl living on a farm in St. Mary's during the war. She was the next to the youngest of nine children. Her two oldest brothers joined the 2nd Maryland CSA in 1862. Both of them fought at Gettysburg. One survived the war, but the other died of wounds received at Weldon Railroad and then again at Peebles Farm just a few months before the end of the war. What I would give to have her around to talk to now!

Mike