pinidion

Since we're on the topic of censuses

Well I knew my great-uncle George was on line 1 of the page and I had a copy of this census sheet. What I didn't know was in whose household he belonged. And of course, that was the sheet before that I never got around to viewing until today :)

In the citation detail how would I denote the fact that the info is actually on 2 pages?

What I have right now reads: Costas Galiankas household||Enumeration District 149, Page 8B - Lines 97-100, Page 9A - Line 1

I haven't added Mr. Galiankas to my database yet (though I'm sure he's probably related 6 generations back).. What I did was enter my great-uncle George as a principal so he gets a regular memo, and no witnesses. In his memo I mention his head of household & fellow roomers. I don't have a problem with this at all. But is the syntax of my cd correct? is there a more proper way? Also Costas Galiankas is actually Kostas Kalliangas (its a surname from my database with origins in same village).

In memo I put the correct spelling, "He was a lodger in the household of Kostas Kalliangas and was employed as a steel mill laborer."

I guess somewhere in the cd I should note that the ancestry spelling is wrong?

thanks guys, back to work now :)

good luck!

debs

In the citation detail how would I denote the fact that the info is actually on 2 pages?

What I have right now reads: Costas Galiankas household||Enumeration District 149, Page 8B - Lines 97-100, Page 9A - Line 1

I don't include line numbers, but use dwelling and family numbers, following Mills. So I just use Pages 8B-9A. But if you want to include line numbers, I think what you have is fine.

Also Costas Galiankas is actually Kostas Kalliangas (its a surname from my database with origins in same village).

In memo I put the correct spelling, "He was a lodger in the household of Kostas Kalliangas and was employed as a steel mill laborer."

I guess somewhere in the cd I should note that the ancestry spelling is wrong?

"Ancestry spelling?" Are you talking about the Ancestry index or what you read on the image? If the latter, I'd say it deserves some explaination in the CD as to why you are using a different spelling in the note than on the census.

But if you are talking about Ancestry's index, I don't think it's worth mentioning. Instead, enter a correction on Ancestry, so future searchers can find it under the right spelling.

I don't include line numbers, but use dwelling and family numbers, following Mills. So I just use Pages 8B-9A. But if you want to include line numbers, I think what you have is fine.

"Ancestry spelling?" Are you talking about the Ancestry index or what you read on the image? If the latter, I'd say it deserves some explaination in the CD as to why you are using a different spelling in the note than on the census.

But if you are talking about Ancestry's index, I don't think it's worth mentioning. Instead, enter a correction on Ancestry, so future searchers can find it under the right spelling.

Actually both, ancestry.com has him spelled as Galiankas and its clear the image has it spelled this way also.. so both are wrong

I see where you can post corrections for future researchers. With all these Greek names, the work involved could take a few years! :) But I guess, just correct em as I see em!

thanks Terry, you're always there when I have big and little questions,

bless you,

Debbie

Actually both, ancestry.com has him spelled as Galiankas and its clear the image has it spelled this way also.. so both are wrong

When it's wrong on the census itself, I always use the spelling as I read it when entering the "household name" in citations. If I then enter what I think is correct in my data, I think that needs explaination in the source notes somehow.

I see where you can post corrections for future researchers. With all these Greek names, the work involved could take a few years! :) But I guess, just correct em as I see em!

That's what I do, especially when they just read the census wrong. But also when I find a name that's recorded incorrectly on the census itself.

thanks Terry, you're always there when I have big and little questions,

You're welcome. :)