JHG

Export Note et all Tags to Gedcom

I am unable to export note tags, and also non-primary tags, to gedcom export files. I was formelry able to export all note tags, living, residence, etc. What has happened? Thanx, JG

I am unable to export note tags, and also non-primary tags, to gedcom export files. I was formelry able to export all note tags, living, residence, etc. What has happened? Thanx, JG

In Step 6 "Option screen 2" of the Export Wizard have you selected to export

- All Tag Types and

- All Variations of Events ?

I works for me like a charm. :)

In Step 6 "Option screen 2" of the Export Wizard have you selected to export

- All Tag Types and

- All Variations of Events ?

I works for me like a charm. :)

Yes, Iam selecting All tag types, All Variations, and All Variations of All Events. I should also add that my dB is rather large, some 102,000 individuals at last count.

JG

Yes, Iam selecting All tag types, All Variations, and All Variations of All Events. I should also add that my dB is rather large, some 102,000 individuals at last count.

JG

Hmmm,.......... that should be no issue. :huh:

First thing to test:

please use TMG's Sample Project and make a GEDCOM export for person with ID# 1 (Frank Alexander) only (Step 4 of the Export Wizard "Export what people" please check "Current Focus Person".

His "data" contain a lot of non-primary tags and Residence tags as well.

Does it work here - say all tag types and all event variations are exported to the GEDCOM file?

In case it works as expected for TMG's sample but still isn't working for your project I would like to look at it.

I would need a backup of your project without any exhibits, layouts, filters and the like.

If you like please feel free and contact me here!

Thank you Vera for resolving this issue. Under the Tag Type Definition screen, I changed the Note tag from being a GEDCOM export as a Tag to an Event (1EVEN 2TYPE Note). The note tag is not supported as an exportable tag, but as an event, it is. In this way, my resulting gedcom file available for viewing on RootsWeb shows my notes with appropriate dates.

The note tag is not supported as an exportable tag, but as an event, it is. In this way, my resulting gedcom file available for viewing on RootsWeb shows my notes with appropriate dates.

I don't understand why you are saying that a GEDCOM NOTE tag is not exportable. It is in my tests.

But... it is true that NOTE tags do not have date or place information exported. That is in accordance with the GEDCOM specs, which do no include those fields for NOTE tags. The GEDCOM definition for NOTE tags is "Additional information provided by the submitter for understanding the enclosing data." I suppose in that context, dates and places don't make a lot of sense.

Changing the GEDCOM tag type to EVEN as you describe does allow exporting those data.

I don't understand why you are saying that a GEDCOM NOTE tag is not exportable. It is in my tests.

But... it is true that NOTE tags do not have date or place information exported. That is in accordance with the GEDCOM specs, which do no include those fields for NOTE tags. The GEDCOM definition for NOTE tags is "Additional information provided by the submitter for understanding the enclosing data." I suppose in that context, dates and places don't make a lot of sense.

Changing the GEDCOM tag type to EVEN as you describe does allow exporting those data.

That's what Jay wanted to say .... NOTE tags export but without i. e. dates in accordance to GEDCOM specs.

And since dates made no doubt sense for his specific needs we decided to change them to export as Event tags. :)

Sorry for that slightly somewhat misleading wording.

You're welcome, Jay. ;)