elevator

Issues with Piclist of People

I use the Picklist of people a lot when I go through church records on microfilm (i.e. i use it to filter out everyone born within a certain date range in a certain place). However, when you close down the program and restart it, then open the Picklist of People again you get the following message: "Would you like to restore the filter which was active when this project was last used (C:\Nordberg\Database\CONFIRMATIONS DATE RANGE.flp)?". If I click Yes on this dialog the filtering engine goes through the filtering process and says that it found 20 people like it should, but when the Piclist is displayed it still shows everyone like no filter was applied. Is this right? As it is now, I have to go back in, re-load the filter definition from disk and reapply it everytime I open the program to continue research where I left off.

Not a big deal, just wondering if this is a known bug or if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks for an awesome program,

Ken.

By the way: I am using TMG v. 6.12.

Edited by elevator

I use the Picklist of people a lot when I go through church records on microfilm (i.e. i use it to filter out everyone born within a certain date range in a certain place). However, when you close down the program and restart it, then open the Picklist of People again you get the following message: "Would you like to restore the filter which was active when this project was last used (C:\Nordberg\Database\CONFIRMATIONS DATE RANGE.flp)?". If I click Yes on this dialog the filtering engine goes through the filtering process and says that it found 20 people like it should, but when the Piclist is displayed it still shows everyone like no filter was applied. Is this right? As it is now, I have to go back in, re-load the filter definition from disk and reapply it everytime I open the program to continue research where I left off.

Not a big deal, just wondering if this is a known bug or if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks for an awesome program,

Ken.

By the way: I am using TMG v. 6.12.

Hi, Ken,

with some fine but important other nuance I am able to replicate what you see and I will report it.

So what are "my" differences to your description:

- the first one is that when I apply a filter (which I previously saved or not doesn't make a difference) to an expanded picklist, then close the picklist and re-open the picklist later again while still being in the same TMG session the filter is still applied to the picklist .... say still active.

But when I close the program .... then restart it .... i. e. open the same project I used before .... then open the picklist ..... the picklist always comes up totally unfiltered.

I may be wrong but I don't think that has ever been different.

- and the second one is (and I guess you don't see it because when you open a project within TMG your layout doesn't show the Project Explorer, right?) that I am able to reproduce what you say ....

but upon TMG start and reopening the last project used and saying "Yes" to that message - the filter is now applied to the Project Explorer instead which definitely shouldn't be the case.

Thanks for your supply Vera. I am glad to hear it's not just an issue with my installation. To answer your observations: Yes, if I open the picklist in the same session everything is fine. If I have changed something, the filter is re-applied to show newly added data, but that is of course just what we would want. The problem is when closing the program completely and going back in at a later time to resume work.

My layout does not have the Project Explorer in it, but I tried it with what you said and I am experiencing the same problem you mentioned.

I appreciate you reporting the problem. Not a major thing, but a little annoying nontheless when you need the feature :)

Take care,

Ken.

Hi, Ken,

with some fine but important other nuance I am able to replicate what you see and I will report it.

So what are "my" differences to your description:

- the first one is that when I apply a filter (which I previously saved or not doesn't make a difference) to an expanded picklist, then close the picklist and re-open the picklist later again while still being in the same TMG session the filter is still applied to the picklist .... say still active.

But when I close the program .... then restart it .... i. e. open the same project I used before .... then open the picklist ..... the picklist always comes up totally unfiltered.

I may be wrong but I don't think that has ever been different.

- and the second one is (and I guess you don't see it because when you open a project within TMG your layout doesn't show the Project Explorer, right?) that I am able to reproduce what you say ....

but upon TMG start and reopening the last project used and saying "Yes" to that message - the filter is now applied to the Project Explorer instead which definitely shouldn't be the case.

Thanks for your supply Vera.

You're welcome, Ken. :)

My layout does not have the Project Explorer in it, but I tried it with what you said and I am experiencing the same problem you mentioned.

I guess I need to clarify / correct my previous reply a little bit regarding this (unwanted) effect because it might be misleading:

The basic is that Project Explorer and Picklists share the same filters.

But an existing / applied Picklist filter should when you close the program not trigger the prompt: "....whether you would like to restore the filter...." for the Project Explorer upon next start of the program.

Just to make sure you understand.

The Picklist filter does not carry from one session to another. When you close and reopen the program, the Picklist should be unfiltered.

As to the prompt to load the former Picklist filter in the Project Explorer when you start the program. just click [No].