daryl

GEDCOM Files

I am wanting to post my charts to my own website, I found this site via second site which I ultimately want to use but need one of your products to publish to it.

First question - Can i use my current gedcom file in one of your UK products, then convert it to a format that second site will recognise?

Second Question - what is the difference between the gold and silver products?

Many Thanks

Daryl,

I am glad you are planning to use Second Site to publish your genealogy data. I am the author.

You can import your GEDCOM file into the UK edition of The Master Genealogist (TMG), and once you do that, you will be able to use Second Site. Second Site reads the TMG data files directly.

If you are currently using a different genealogy program, you may want to consider using TMG's "GenBridge" feature to import that program's data files directly into TMG. As I said, TMG will import a GEDCOM file, but the GenBridge method usually produces a better result.

I can not describe the differences between the Silver version and the Gold version. Either version will work with Second Site.

This page on the Wholly Genes web site shows the differences between the Silver and Gold editions:

http://www.whollygenes.com/Merchant2/merch...en=SILVERTOGOLD

As a user, I would advise getting the full-featured Gold edition.

When you do the GEDCOM import, you will want to use the Advanced Import Wizard and create custom tag types for custom, non-standard and 1 EVEN 2 TYPE GEDCOM tags.

Use the Advanced import wizard.

On Step 7, you can adjust most custom tag types or event tags to import them as custom tags.

For example...

_XYZ

Select this tag.

Click [Properties]

Tick 'save as custom tag'

Edit the custom tag name if necessary.

Select the proper tag type group

Click [OK]

Do the same with any tag imported as an Event-Misc but, first, after selecting the tag, click the [unassign] button to unassign it from Event-Misc. Then click [Properties] and proceed as above.

For custom name tags such as:

_AKA

Assign to the proper name tag.

Select _AKA on the left.

Select the Name- tag on the right.

Click [Assign].

The tools are there for you to deal with the import of any custom or Event-Misc tag.