pktropics

Self-duplicating tags?

In one of my databases today I found several tags duplicated in the Person window for several people - though not everyone. Its seems quite random. It wouldn't worry me too much - I'd take it as just another wobble in the operation of this program - except that when I deleted one of the duplicates, the other one also disappeared! I went instantly from the redundancy of two identical tags to no tag at all!

Tried file validation, but the problem persists. I did a re-index and optimisation a day or two ago, could this be the cause?

Anyone else had this happen to them?

pktropics

Yes, I've had this crop up in the past although I think the problem went away with a subsequent upgrade of TMG. I think that I sorted them out by managing to change one (perhaps the date) so that they were for some odd reason no longer attached to one another but as it is so long since I had to do this, I cannot remember anymore, I'm afraid.

Nick Shelley

In one of my databases today I found several tags duplicated in the Person window for several people - though not everyone. Its seems quite random. It wouldn't worry me too much - I'd take it as just another wobble in the operation of this program - except that when I deleted one of the duplicates, the other one also disappeared! I went instantly from the redundancy of two identical tags to no tag at all!

Tried file validation, but the problem persists. I did a re-index and optimisation a day or two ago, could this be the cause?

Anyone else had this happen to them?

pktropics

PK,

No Reindex and Optimization would not cause these. Not sure how you got them to begin with, but Reindex and Optimization would get rid of them, not create them. I haven't seen it happen, but Nick says he has, so it's probably a rare bug.

Yes, I've had this crop up in the past although I think the problem went away with a subsequent upgrade of TMG. I think that I sorted them out by managing to change one (perhaps the date) so that they were for some odd reason no longer attached to one another but as it is so long since I had to do this, I cannot remember anymore, I'm afraid.

Nick Shelley

Nick,

When I make a change in one, it appears also in the other. I did this for several fields, all with the same result. But I'm sure the gist of your suggestion is the key - ie breaking the connection between the two. I'll keep trying to find a way. Meanwhile it would be good to hear something from the company, since it seems this may not be a unique glitch in the program's performance; it has the potential to cause major headaches if it affects many entries and if the duplications appear in reports (neither of which I have tested as yet).

pktropics

PK,

No Reindex and Optimization would not cause these. Not sure how you got them to begin with, but Reindex and Optimization would get rid of them, not create them. I haven't seen it happen, but Nick says he has, so it's probably a rare bug.

GGY,

No they don't! I've reindexed, optimised and validated - all of which have left the duplicates conspicuously in place! For the moment I will persevere along the lines suggested by Nick, but so far it doesn't look good.

pktropics

Any similarities among the tags?

Are they any particular tag type - relationship tags for instance?

Are they Primary?

Have witnesses?

Have 2 principals?

Have you merged datasets?

Are the people unrelated?

Virginia

Any similarities among the tags?

Are they any particular tag type - relationship tags for instance?

Are they Primary?

Have witnesses?

Have 2 principals?

Have you merged datasets?

Are the people unrelated?

Virginia

Hi Virginia,

I haven't had a chance to check widely in the database as yet. To be honest, when I get a problem like this, I'm not too keen on working with the data till its solved, in case my actions exacerbate things.

So far, they are all within one family and I have found about half a dozen affected individuals, all closely related and across three generations. E.g. two brothers, one of their daughters, a son and a granddaughter

The tags so far are: birth, death, residence, occupation, note and one custom tag within other event group.

Its happening with both primary and secondary tags, and if I change this, the changes are applied to each duplicate.

No witnesses, one principal. Some have a single citation, others have multiple citations. Some have memos, others not. Some have dates, others not. On the face of it there doesn't appear to be any particular commonality among them, other than the principals being closely related

pktropics

Guest PhilDee
Hi Virginia,

I haven't had a chance to check widely in the database as yet. To be honest, when I get a problem like this, I'm not too keen on working with the data till its solved, in case my actions exacerbate things.

So far, they are all within one family and I have found about half a dozen affected individuals, all closely related and across three generations. E.g. two brothers, one of their daughters, a son and a granddaughter

The tags so far are: birth, death, residence, occupation, note and one custom tag within other event group.

Its happening with both primary and secondary tags, and if I change this, the changes are applied to each duplicate.

No witnesses, one principal. Some have a single citation, others have multiple citations. Some have memos, others not. Some have dates, others not. On the face of it there doesn't appear to be any particular commonality among them, other than the principals being closely related

pktropics

Please make a backup of your project without external exhibits and send it to phild@whollygenes.com as an attachment to an email.

Phil

Wholly Genes Tech Support

Please make a backup of your project without external exhibits and send it to phild@whollygenes.com as an attachment to an email.

Phil

Wholly Genes Tech Support

Phil,

I've sent you the back-up file by separate email.

Thanks

pktropics

Quick update on the self-duplicating tags. Thanks to WG and Jim Byram in particular, who delved into my database, found and fixed all instances of the duplicated tags. The cause of the problem, however, remains a mystery??

Thanks Jim

pktropics

Peter,

The duplicated tags were in a contiguous block of 21 events (GNUM 10216 to 10244). (Some event numbers between the first and last have been deleted so the current block has 21 events rather than 29 events.)

The first tag entered was a Residence tag for ID#5722 and ID#5745.

The last tag entered was a Note tag for ID#1237.

Maybe you can figure out something unusual about when you entered that block of events.

Jim