Hello and Merry Christmas to all!

Now in these holiday times it is time for baking and cooking and carrying on all those precious family recipes for your favorite cookies, dishes or desserts that grandma used to make for every special occasions. I have a large number of these rather old hand-written recipe books and wondered if anyone had any ideas how to register this in TMG.

Now, I realize that this information strictly speaking has nothing to do with genealogy, but in my case, for example, both my grandmothers were/are fabulous cooks and that fact very much defined who they were/are and so I'd like to preserve this information. Plus in the event that these books are lost, the recipes are recorded electronically.

In the (distant) past I used a long since deprecated program called Sierra Generations that had an addin called "Master Cooks" that allowed you to register presicely this information as part of the genealogical information.

How would I go about recording the contents of such a recipe book? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ken.

I am sure you will find as many answers as there are users of TMG . I have something similar with poets among my ancestors and the desire to record their poems. As formatting is often important in poetry (as it can be in recipes) you might consider my method. I create TMG text exhibits (your choice of internal or external) and attach them to custom tags which I named POETRY. The exhibit can be one or more poems/recipes, and report options can be used to determine where they will print. Most of my reports choose to not print the POETRY tag (which is why I have a separate custom tag type). I can also set a working flag based on the presence of this tag and then print a specially formatted report for those people based on that flag that does print this tag and its text exhibits.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Edited by mjh

You might also do what my inlaws did when my husband's grandmother died. They typed up all her recipes and photocopied those and passed them out to each family member. I have mine in my cabinet, and plan on making each of the girls a copy when they marry and one for my daughter-in-law when my son marries. THat way they will have thier great grandmother's recipes to pass to thier children. The cost was nominal, and it is definitely a gift I cherish even though I only knew her a few years when she passed and never tasted any of her home cooking. It's funny, but it's things like mashed potatoes and cornbread that we want to know how to cook and real recipe books just don't tell you how to do those.