Michael Hannah

Bug? in double exclusion marker

The Double Exclusion Marker is documented in HELP under the topic "Exclude Information". The HELP entry states: "The Full footnote, Short footnote, and Bibliography template fields on the Output form tab of the Source Definition screen also support the double exclusion marker. A template so marked does not show when previewed nor does it print."

A custom Source Type that has a Bibliography template with Source Elements but whose Full footnote, and Short footnote templates consist of only the Double Exclusion Marker DOES print. You get both a footnote reference printed in the text, and you get a footnote entry printed, although the entry consists of only the reference number and a period. Based on the HELP documentation, I believe no footnote reference should print, nor should any footnote entry be printed, but a bibliography entry should still be generated.

If the Double Exclusion Marker worked as I believe it is documented, a custom Source Type with such templates would provide the way to generate a bibliography entry without a footnote, as has been requested previously on this forum.

I think the problem is that you are printing the bibliography entry and a number has to be generated and put into the report other wise, the entry won't be able to be in the bibliography. WHile it might not work the way you expected, how else could it work? The note isn't printing, but the number is being put there as a place holder.

I think the problem is that you are printing the bibliography entry and a number has to be generated and put into the report other wise, the entry won't be able to be in the bibliography. WHile it might not work the way you expected, how else could it work? The note isn't printing, but the number is being put there as a place holder.

No, Bibliography entries do not have numbers, and do not have linkage references to the text since multiple references to the same source collapse into a single bibliographic entry. Only footnotes/endnotes have numbers in the text and in the footnote/endnote. With both the Full Footnote and Short Footnote having double exclusion, there is no need for any numbers of any kind, either in the text or in an otherwise empty footnote/endnote. There is no need for (or desire for) a place holder. The documentation says that a double exclusion will cause the specified template not to print. Well, that is exactly what I want to have happen for those two templates: no number, no footnote/endnote, no "place holder", no printing of anything related to that template.