carjon78

Index for reports

What word processors support the index features? I have Word 2002 and TMG 6 and haven't been able to create an index for a journal report.

Thanks, Carolyn

I use WordPerfect, but there was a message earlier on the forum explaining how to do the Table of Contents in Word - perhaps you do the Index the same way?

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...26370entry26370

Hope that helps -

Virginia

Pretty much the same way. TMG inserts the index codes in the file using Word's coding system. Then in Word, you place the cursor where you want the index to appear, and "Insert" the index. Word creates the index from the codes TMG placed in the file. Exact details of the "insert" command vary a bit depending on the version of Word you are using.

What word processors support the index features? I have Word 2002 and TMG 6 and haven't been able to create an index for a journal report.

Thanks, Carolyn

I haven't used Word2002, but in Word2000:

Click on INSERT

Click on INDEX and TABLES

fill out the simple pop-up form

and Voila, the index appears.

Now if we could only get an index referencing Ahnentafel Numbers instead of page numbers...

Good luck,

Mike Talbot

Click on INSERT

Now if we could only get an index referencing Ahnentafel Numbers instead of page numbers...

Good luck,

Mike Talbot

Mike,

You should be able to get such an index- just enter the Ahnentafel number imanually inside the index code. Then when you insert the index in your word processor they will be in numerical order and tell you what page they are on.

I guess my first question, Mike, is why you would want to? :)

First, seems to me they would be harder for most readers to understand and use. Second, I'd think they would only be useful for ancestor reports, and then only if the report itself displayed the numbers. And, if used in a Journal, the index could not include the siblings of ancestors and their spouses, since they don't have Ahnentafel numbers.

Moving to the mechanics.... Word would never generate them with it's index function, because it's totally geared to reporting the page number the entry appears on. That's the whole point of using a word processor-generated index - the page numbers are adjusted as you edit the document, forcing re-pagination. Further, there is no need to use the word processor-generated index, since editing and re-paginating would not change the Ahnentafel numbers.

So what you are asking for is a quite different type of index, which TMG would generate as plain text (like "Unique" endnotes are). I'd tried to figure out if there is some way a user could create such an index and then include it in the report. I've not been able to, mainly because I can't figure out how to generate the names in surname, given name order in any report that would also create Ahnentafel numbers.

So, sounds to me like you are asking for a totally new index function. :( I suppose, if you are serious about this, the best thing to do is post it as a "wishlist" item, stating the reasons why you think it would be desireable.

Thank you all so much. It did indeed magically appear, just not in the right place the first time. I think I have the hang of it now. I was also able to do it through INSERT>FIELD>category INDEX. But that is one extra click we don't need.

Carolyn

Click on INSERT

Good luck,

Mike Talbot

I'm glad to see that others are interested in using the Index feature. It is something I want for my journal reports of any length. I have some documents that are made up of many separate journal reports (ancestors of the main person and descendants of the SPOUSES of all my ancestor's siblings - this gives a report of all blood relatives through that main person.)

TMG has you entering in memo fields the exact text you want in the index, for a reference to that memo in the final report. That is very flexible so you could index one location with several entries, such as alternate names for an individual. If you enter the index information just right, that index entry gets merged with index entries created by TMG for individuals referred to in role sentences. Therefore, the index entry created by the word processor for an individual would list the pages where he/she is referred to in role sentences constructed by TMG as well as pages where the reference is within the memo text of someone else.

The problem is keeping the two types of index entries consistent. If you put an index entry for someone in a memo, and then change some key information in the main entry for that individual (e.g. have an improved version of the name), the memo entry you created originally will no longer match. The index generated by your word-processor will now have two entries for that individual - the one you originally entered into the memo, and the one TMG created from the latest version of the person's name. If you want the index to have birth-death years (necessary when you want to keep separate many people with the same name), you have another piece of data that can change as you improve your data.

I have suggested to Bob that an additional syntax option be added to the index entry format. Something like UFT, which uses just the individual's number to identify the index entry in the memo text. That is not as flexible as TMG's method, but it ensures the index entries produced by the word processor will be consistent between the role sentence entries and those from the memo text. That would give you the best of both formats.

I'm hoping that suggestion has made it to the internal TMG wish list.

Pierce