knegg

v6.12-Problem installing under WinXP

I have tried for days to install TMG v.6 on my PC running WinXP Home Edition without luck. Disabling NOD32 anti-virus program, startup in safe mode does not help, so now I simply give up! My warning bells also start ringing when a supplier suggest turning off the anti-virus program, or any other protection programs, in connection with installing their application. I just wonder what the TMG installer actually wants to do that will trigger any system protection program? I think I'll jump off the TMG wagon.

I have tried for days to install TMG v.6 on my PC running WinXP Home Edition without luck. Disabling NOD32 anti-virus program, startup in safe mode does not help, so now I simply give up! My warning bells also start ringing when a supplier suggest turning off the anti-virus program, or any other protection programs, in connection with installing their application. I just wonder what the TMG installer actually wants to do that will trigger any system protection program? I think I'll jump off the TMG wagon.

The two earlier reports in this thread of install problems are related to the new Vista operating system, not to WinXP Home. Are you installing from a v6 CD or did you download the online trial version? Are you getting the same error message re the mfc42.dll file as reported in this thread or are there other symptoms or error messages when the install fails?

Virginia

The two earlier reports in this thread of install problems are related to the new Vista operating system, not to WinXP Home. Are you installing from a v6 CD or did you download the online trial version? Are you getting the same error message re the mfc42.dll file as reported in this thread or are there other symptoms or error messages when the install fails?

Virginia

I am indeed trying to install the online trial version. Although I am running XP I get exactly the same error messages as described in [the WinVista] thread: hang on installation of foxfont.fon as well as the mfc42.dll error in safe mode. The mfc42.dll file is present in both WinXP and Vista, but file versions may be different. Anyhow, if the install problems is connected with this file I would assume the previous XP version would give a better chance of success. I also have Office 2003 installed, but trying to uninstall this and/or other applications in order to get TMG installed is not an option.

Knegg

I am indeed trying to install the online trial version. Although I am running XP I get exactly the same error messages as described in this thread: hang on installation of foxfont.fon as well as the mfc42.dll error in safe mode. The mfc42.dll file is present in both WinXP and Vista, but file versions may be different. Anyhow, if the install problems is connected with this file I would assume the previous XP version would give a better chance of success. I also have Office 2003 installed, but trying to uninstall this and/or other applications in order to get TMG installed is not an option.

Knegg

Among the programs which Sheryl reported installing was the MS update MSXML 4.0 SP2. Have you also installed that update?

Thanks for this additional information - yours is the first report I've seen of the mfc42.dll problem in connection with WinXP.

Virginia

Among the programs which Sheryl reported installing was the MS update MSXML 4.0 SP2. Have you also installed that update?

Thanks for this additional information - yours is the first report I've seen of the mfc42.dll problem in connection with WinXP.

Virginia

Eh, - do you mean the MSXML Parser? I do have MSXML 6.0 Parser (v. 6.00.3890) installed. Otherwise I keep my system updated at any time with new updates from MS. (Windows and Office).

Knegg

MSXML 4.0 SP2 is a security update to MS VisualC ++ runtime libraries. It includes a later version of mfc42.dll. However, it's probably not involved in this problem. I have that update and just downloaded and successfully installed the trial version into WinXP Pro. I took no precautions (did not disable anti-malware software or install in safe mode) - and I did not get the mfc42.dll file message nor the foxfont message.

I do not have any Norton software on my computer. I do have MS Office 2003, Quicken, and TurboTax (as does Bob).

Virginia

Please don't hijack the topics. I've moved this to its own topic.

I have tried for days to install TMG v.6 on my PC running WinXP Home Edition without luck.

No one has come up with an answer yet.

My warning bells also start ringing when a supplier suggest turning off the anti-virus program, or any other protection programs, in connection with installing their application.

Note that the current correct method to install the Nvidia video driver under WinVista includes turning off the av scanner. Sometimes, av scanners interfere with a program installation. However, that should not be the case with TMG.

...trying to uninstall this and/or other applications in order to get TMG installed is not an option.

Agree. That is not a viable approach to the issue and no one should be trying that as a general approach.

MSXML 4.0 SP2 is a security update to MS VisualC ++ runtime libraries. It includes a later version of mfc42.dll. However, it's probably not involved in this problem. I have that update and just downloaded and successfully installed the trial version into WinXP Pro. I took no precautions (did not disable anti-malware software or install in safe mode) - and I did not get the mfc42.dll file message nor the foxfont message.

I do not have any Norton software on my computer. I do have MS Office 2003, Quicken, and TurboTax (as does Bob).

Virginia

Well, apparently something on my system interferes with what the installer is trying to do. Trying to get a step further:

1.) Did you install with both the Language Pack and Fancy Frames selections marked?

2.) The installer seems to replace the Foxfont.fon every time, and then goes into a hang. Did the installer in your case generate a log file that may indicate what activity that comes immediately after copying the Foxfont.fon file?

3.) Would it be possible to give a list of which files in the system area (Windows/System32) the installer is actually trying to replace?

4.) Does the installer log say anything about which register changes being made?

Knegg

1.) Yes, I did install with both the Language Pack and Fancy Frames selections marked.

2.), 3.), 4.) - info sent directly.

Virginia

Sorry for the long silence, but thank you so much for the log file and info.

From the posts by sherylt re. the identical install problems with Windows Vista I became a bit curious by the mentioning of wireless connection and network tweaking. So, by removing my D-link wireless card and all associated drivers and software the installation went without a flaw! I believe this confirms something fishy with your installer in some way or another.

Sorry to say, but I decided to remain with my current genealogy program, so for me this whole exercise was of no use. But I believe your developers should have a second look at what the installer program is actually doing.

I second the recommendation to have your designers investigate the "Wireless Connection" aspect. I have a very similar setup (XP Home SP2, Wireless Connection, etc.). My many attempts freeze at the same point C:\\WINDOWS\Fonts\Foxfont.fon ... I would love to try the software as I am despearte to replace what I am currently using but disabling a configuration is out of the question.

Norm

A quick update ... I used my portable computer (same software configuration as my desktop) using an ethernet cable and was successful in downloading and installing the software. I took the same ethernet cable and connected my desktop directly to the wireless router and successfully downloaded and installed the software.

Hate to break this train of thought, seems like your on to something. I don't have a wireless adapter and still have the error so there must be something else also. I'd sure like to be able to run TMG again.

BobSOH

Hate to break this train of thought, seems like your on to something. I don't have a wireless adapter and still have the error so there must be something else also. I'd sure like to be able to run TMG again.

BobSOH

The reports of the wireless-adapter factor are in the WinXP-TMG install thread; I don't know whether they necessarily apply to the Vista-TMG install problem which you reported. Sheryl indicated that she was able to successfully install TMG with Vista by reconfiguring her hard drive and installing TMG first before installing other software - which seems to point to a conflict with some other program. That message is in the Vista-TMG install thread at:

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...ost&p=27659

Note she does mention 'a flakey wireless connection' though not as a specific factor in her problem and solution.

Virginia