RadioHead

"New" Citation

Hi Folks:

I have just recently received my copy of "The Master Genealogist", V6, gold edition. The learning curve is steep, but I know I'll get there, someday :)

My only other genealogical software (since 1994) has been "Brother's Keeper" which I have used and enjoyed very much. However, my database is now rather large (in excess of 146,000 persons) and I don't feel that it has the flexibility I require.

PROBLEM: All my "citations" have been imported from Brother's Keeper, but I can't seem to add a NEW citation; when I try, I find I must pick one of the OLD citations in the citation picklist. How can I create a NEW citation?

I have tried both a search of the "help" files, and a search of this forum, but found nothing.

Now what?

"RadioHead"

Edited by RadioHead

Your post didn't indicate whether or not you click an already existing citation from the list of citations for a particular event or if you press the little button with the "+" (plus) sign on it. The plus sign button will add a new citation at the bottom of the list (use the arrows to reorganize) and the minus button will remove the selected citation. Forgive me if I misunderstood your problem.

Ken.

PROBLEM: All my "citations" have been imported from Brother's Keeper, but I can't seem to add a NEW citation; when I try, I find I must pick one of the OLD citations in the citation picklist. How can I create a NEW citation?

To make what Ken wrote clearer...

On the Tag Entry screen, you will see a field for citations. Above that field are [+] and [-] buttons. Mouse over those buttons and you will see that the tooltip for the [+] button says 'Add new citation'.

Click that button to add a new citation. On the citation screen, enter the source number in the field at the top or click the [binocs] button next to the field to select a source from the Master Source List. Add text to the citation detail and citation memo fields as necessary.

I suspect the problem here may be that you're talking in terms of citations, and TMG's terminology for that I think you mean is sources.

If I gather correctly, you want to be able to add something new to cite -- a new source of information. That's called a source in TMG, and each time you cite it, that's called a citation.

To add a source, drop down the Tools menu at the top, choose Master Source List, and you'll see a box open with a list of all your existing sources. Then choose Add to add one.

Hello again:

And thanks very much for your assistance. I was indeed confusing "citation" and "source". I will also check out the tutorial website to get up to speed.

Thanks again.

"RadioHead"