rasonnier

Deleting the Research Log

Is there a way to completely delete the Research Log and start over? Long ago an import from another software filled my research log with 3400 items. I saw in a previous post that doing the import over was the easiest way to fix this problem but that is not an option since I have done years of work since then. I just never used the Research Log. Deleting 3400 tasks by hand is going to be a problem.

Perhaps there is a file that can be deleted (after a complete backup of course)? Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks

RAS

Only if you are very competent with file manipulations...

1) Backup your project. Exit TMG.

2) Open your project folder and look at the file names. Make a note of the exact filenames for the .._L.dbf and .._L.fpt files. The L files are where the research log data is stored.

3) Create a new project in a new folder. Copy the .._L.dbf and .._L.fpt files from the new project folder to your project folder.

4) Delete the original .._L.dbf and .._L.fpt files files. Rename the new .._L.dbf and .._L.fpt files to the exact names of the two files that you just deleted.

5) When you start TMG, immediately reindex (File / Maintenance / Reindex).

Now you should have an empty Research Log.

Thank you so much...that is EXACTLY what I needed to know! Trust me I will do this VERY carefully!

One question - What exactly will the reindex accomplish? Is there any chance that it would renumber the people in my database? I have written those numbers on hardcopy research materials and although I could live with them changing I'd rather have them remain the same.

Again, thanks for the quick response...

RAS

Thank you so much...that is EXACTLY what I needed to know! Trust me I will do this VERY carefully!

One question - What exactly will the reindex accomplish? Is there any chance that it would renumber the people in my database? I have written those numbers on hardcopy research materials and although I could live with them changing I'd rather have them remain the same.

Again, thanks for the quick response...

RAS

Reindex recreates internal indexes...it does not renumber anything, not people, not sources, etc....