pfagan

4.0d and Vista?

Hello,

I am running TMG version 4.0d gold in Windows XP. Several years ago I purchased version 5, but the lack of report generator (and inability to port my custom reports) convinced me not to upgrade. (Yes, I know they were added later, but I wasn't able to devote time to the project when TMG was ready.)

Now I am thinking of buying a new computer -- a laptop running Vista. Can anyone tell me if version 4 will run in Vista? I am also concerned with the laptop screen sizes. Will version 4's fixed aspect map properly within a small wide screen?

There must be someone out there in the same problem. I'd be grateful for any feedback.

Thanks

Patty Fagan

Boston, Mass

TMG4 should run under WinVista (maybe) but I decline to try it. Just make sure that you install it outside of Program Files so that there are no permissions issues. I had TMG4 running under WinXP with a widescreen display set at 1680x1050. It worked fine. Just a lot of wasted screen space since the layout didn't change to match the screen space.

I am also concerned with the laptop screen sizes. Will version 4's fixed aspect map properly within a small wide screen?

TMG4 uses a maximum size screen, defined in pixels, I believe. If your screen resolution offers more lines and/or rows, you end up with a lot of blank area if you run it full screen. So don't. :)

Once it opens, adjust the program window size to fit the actual displayed area - I did that for years - as soon as I had a monitor with more pixels than TMG4 would use. I'm sure any modern laptop would fit that definition.