LornaHenderson

Focus Group surname sort order differs to PE list of same group

I filtered my PE and chose export all to focus group

Then started wondering why, even though the numbers were the same in each, I couldn't find some of the people I expected to find.

Changing the sort order to ID found they were indeed there, but not where I expected them in either given or surname order.

So I started digging around.

Found a heap of names sorted out of sequence at the end of each letter, eg after RYDER came RABY .. etc etc, all up some 150 out of my 2294 picklist

Attached are some screenshots taken as I "dug".

VFI and optimise made absolutely no difference to this, re-entering a forename fixed it, but as they are in the right place in the PE, just not in the Focus group, and the sort name looked just fine as it was anyway....

So I was led to believe that there's a different "engine" behind the sort sequence in the two.

I can't, as yet, spot anything obvious all of the "out of sequence" names have in common when I found them by scrolling down the focus group.

I can't really tell, but a lot of them look like they were all entered in the last 9 mths.

Anyone else noticed this problem?

TMG6v12FocusGroupSortOrder.doc

Edited by LornaHenderson

Check the Simple Picklist and see if the sort there has any issues.

Once I'd remembered how to switch to the simple picklist..

No Jim, it looks fine there, filtered or unfiltered (not that I can see that the filter would make any difference, just thought I'd do a like for like comparison)

It does seem rather odd, and may be complete coincidence, that a lot of the out of sequence names have two forenames.

I was going to say all, but I've found at least 3 that don't by the time I'd checked up to the Hs.

Mostly such names would have been added later as name-vars.

eg firstly I'd find them under a census as x, enter that as their primary name.

Then I'd check them out against birth data etc and add a name-var for the full name and then mark that primary.