RadioHead

"Refresh Relationships" stalls

Hi all:

Thanks for all the help so far. I have another problem.

Every single time I try to "refresh relationships", TMG locks up. I managed to do it once, some days ago, but now when I click on "apply", the Progress indicater is shown only as a frame with nothing inside it. When I bring up the Windows Task Manager, it always says TMG is using 50 to 51% of the CPU, but it's actually doing nothing.

I'm using TMG 6.12.000 on an HP zd7140us laptop running Windows XP Home edition, and the laptop has a 3 GHz processor, and 2GB of RAM.

Any ideas? I've already tried deselecting the automatic relation tag and reselecting it; tried to refresh with nothing else running but TMG, and even with the"Details" "Children" and "Siblings" windows closed, no difference.

"RadioHead"

Does the same thing happen when you click on OK instead of Apply?

Do you have the PE or Project Explorer (even if closed) filtered?

Have you run Optimize > VFI > Optimize?

How many people in your project?

Virginia

Does the same thing happen when you click on OK instead of Apply?

Yes.

Do you have the PE or Project Explorer (even if closed) filtered?

No.

Have you run Optimize > VFI > Optimize?

Yes, and it took a very long time.

How many people in your project?

Well, my "project"is my entire database, 146,561 people. I can't imagine at the moment why I would have more than one project...

"RadioHead"

Try a second Apply in the routine; click Apply after you uncheck the relationship box; recheck the box and click Apply or OK.

I would expect it to take a while to calculate relationships for that many people. I've seen a figure of 5 minutes for 55,000 people but of course that is computer-dependent. Perhaps another user with a similarly large project could comment on how long it takes.

Is the laptop running on battery?

Virginia

RadioHead said

When I bring up the Windows Task Manager, it always says TMG is using 50 to 51% of the CPU, but it's actually doing nothing.

How do you know it is doing nothing?

Do you mean "not responding" if so this could mean that it is too busy to respond rather that doing nothing.

Try leaving the computer longer - with your database it may take a long time (even 30 min or so)

I must apologize. More or less.

RadioHead said

When I bring up the Windows Task Manager, it always says TMG is using 50 to 51% of the CPU, but it's actually doing nothing.

How do you know it is doing nothing?

Do you mean "not responding" if so this could mean that it is too busy to respond rather that doing nothing.

Try leaving the computer longer - with your database it may take a long time (even 30 min or so)

The latest info was indeed correct. Apparently, due to the number of people in my database I was just not leaving it long enough. It takes about 36 minutes to refresh the relationships on my computer.

Thanks.

Edited by RadioHead