:o Please help!

I am using TMG for a German Shepherd dog database. I LOVE the charts TMG produces, my dog pedigree program is limited to only 7 generation charts so I am trying out TMG. So far I like it!

BUT... I am so confused about how to create flags so that certain dogs are color coded in the charts. This is what I need to do:

1. Champion dogs to print light red.

2. Dual Champions (both champion and obedience titled) to print light purple.

3. Obedience dogs to print light blue.

4. Dogs colored white to print light yellow.

As an example a dog is entered like this:

Ch (title) Hoofprint Maxwell (Given Name), CD (Suffix)

Descriptn: White

Reg No: DL123456

Birth: 10/18/2002

It seems as if I could create a custom flag for each field in the name. But when I try, I do not know what to use in the Values?? And I guess I need to create a custom flag for the Descriptn field? Is it possible to have more than one flag for each dog?

Thanks in advance!

First, I assume you are using the Ancestor Box charts, and not the Pedigree Charts. Only the Box charts support color coding.

To get color coding, called "Accents" in TMG, you do indeed need one or more Flags. I'm assuming that each dog gets only one of the four conditions you specify. If so, you need only one Flag, with those four conditions available. For example, create a Flag named "Accent" with these values:

? - for none of the following (make this first so it's the default)

C - for Champion

D - for Dual Champion

O - for Obedience

I'm assuming, knowing little about serious dog stuff, your fourth condition is "all other." If not, add that one as well.

When you create a Flag, that flag exists for everyone in the Data Set. Initially, every dog will have his or her flag set to the default condition - "?" in my example above. Then, you set a different value for all dogs that should have one of the other conditions.

I don't believe there is any way to set these flags other than by going to each dog who should have other than the default value and manually changing that dog's Flag. However, if you have recorded this information somehow in a Tag for each dog, you can do it more automatically. If that's the case, tell us how you recorded it and we can give specific instructions on how to set the flags another way.

To set them manually, open the flag window - click the toolbar button with the crossed flags. You probably want to keep it permanently open, so re-arrange the other windows to make room for it, and then save that new layout so the flag window is always in view. (See my article on Layouts for help on doing this if you need it.)

Finally, you would then, in the report definition for you ancestor box chart, set up the colors. Got to Options, on the Boxes tab, check Accents, and then click the Define button. On the Chart Accents screen, you select your custom Flag from the drop-down on the top line, select one of the values from the drop-down next to it, then set you colors for that value. Repeat this on the following lines for each of the additional flag values.

In addition, you may find it helpful to have the same colors appear on your TMG screens. You do that with Accents, as describe in my article on Accents.

<<I don't believe there is any way to set these flags other than by going to each dog who should have other than the default value and manually changing that dog's Flag.>>

Thanks so much for your help!

I set up the Accent Flag like you said.

How do I manually change each dog's flag? I have the Flags showing in the Layout view.

Julie

Ok, I figured out how to add the tag and set the value for "Add Person".

Is there a way to add this tag to the existing dogs?

Julie

Ok, I figured out how to add the tag and set the value for "Add Person".

Is there a way to add this tag to the existing dogs?

Julie

I meant to say I added a Flag for each new entry!

Sorry!

Julie

Woo Hoo! Figured out how to edit each flag, amazing what right clicking will do! I really really like TMG! Terry ,your website is such a help for newbies like me! Thanks for your help and if I have any other questions (which I am sure I will!), I'll be back!

Thanks!! Julie

Julie,

If you are not using a custom tag for when they attained their Championships, you could change the flag based on the contents of the title and suffix fields. using a List of People report to change the flag.

Report>List of...>People

1) On the Report Definition window, Add at the top under the box for configuration name to create a custom report:

Name it: CH Title C flag

2) Click filtered group, name the filter CH Title and add the following filter:

Field Subfield Operator Value Connect

Title {blank} Equals = CH END

3) Leave it set to print to screen

4) At the bottom, click the Options button on the left.

5) On the Report options window, click the tab Secondary Output. Click the box next to Change Flag. Using the drop down menu select the flag you created for this purpose then select the value for the flag C. Click OK.

6) Click the Output Columns tab and Add a column for Title and Suffix before and after the name. Do so by placing the cursor in the name column and right click and select Add Column. From the drop down menu for column type choose: Name Group* tag: Title. Add the Suffix after the name choosing Name Group* tag: Suffix.

7) Click OK to return to the Report definition screen.

8) Print and Save the report, review the list to make sure the right dogs were found by the filter. If so, answer yes if it asks you whether you want to change the flags to C.

Repeat the same procedure for a new report named CD Suffix O flag, creating a new filter for the Suffix = CD and changing the flag to O.

Lastly, combine the two filters with an AND to change the flag to D for those with both, maybe name it the CHCD D flag report.

Good luck!

Jan Rodriguez

P.S. We used to have GSDs. Select Ch. Bachchen's Scarlet O'Hara and Ch. Carmil's Tanqueray were our champions.

Woo Hoo! Figured out how to edit each flag, amazing what right clicking will do! I really really like TMG! Terry ,your website is such a help for newbies like me! Thanks for your help and if I have any other questions (which I am sure I will!), I'll be back!

Thanks!! Julie

You're welcome, Julie. :)

Terry