efcharvet

"Flagging" TAG Items Visually

Does anyone have suggestions about how I might visually "flag" individual TAG entries in the Detail view of the main screen?

I occasionally enter data in a Tag item that I still have questions about or want to go back to check-out.

For reminders, I have already created a Flag for the person, and in most cases, made a note in the Research Log... however, I must generate a report to remind me to follow-up.

I would like a "visual reminder" when I look at the records in the Person View that a Tag item I entered needs follow-up.

(Ideally, I would like to have a column where a check mark or exclamation point would appear for the Tag in question,... or a line-item red accent color to assign to a Tag, or... (something that smacks-me-in-the-face) but, this is Wish List stuff.)

Any suggestions?

Earl

I would like a "visual reminder" when I look at the records in the Person View that a Tag item I entered needs follow-up.

(Ideally, I would like to have a column where a check mark or exclamation point would appear for the Tag in question,... or a line-item red accent color to assign to a Tag, or... (something that smacks-me-in-the-face) but, this is Wish List stuff.)

Any suggestions?

Earl

I do this with notes about sources I've already checked so I don't search for them another time. It's a bit involved, but it works.

First, set up a new fake person. Mine is called SRCH. Keep the name as short as possible, so it doesn't take up too much space on the line which will show in your tag box.

Next, add a new flag, calling it whatever you want, with a default of anything other than Y (I use N). Then set this flag to Y for your fake person (SRCH). This will be the only person who has this flag set to Y.

Go into the Accent menu and add a line at the beginning of the list which sets a color (I use Red on a white background) for this new flag when it is equal to Y.

Now, go back to your original person, the one you want to highlight. Enter your tag and attach the fake person as the other principal. The new tag should now show up in the color you selected for your accent scheme. I've attached a sample screenshot (at least I think I have).

Hope this helps.

Nancy

Edited by Nancy Archdekin

I do this with notes about sources I've already checked so I don't search for them another time. It's a bit involved, but it works.

First, set up a new fake person. Mine is called SRCH. Keep the name as short as possible, so it doesn't take up too much space on the line which will show in your tag box.

Next, add a new flag, calling it whatever you want, with a default of anything other than Y (I use N). Then set this flag to Y for your fake person (SRCH). This will be the only person who has this flag set to Y.

Go into the Accent menu and add a line at the beginning of the list which sets a color (I use Red on a white background) for this new flag when it is equal to Y.

Now, go back to your original person, the one you want to highlight. Enter your tag and attach the fake person as the other principal. The new tag should now show up in the color you selected for your accent scheme. I've attached a sample screenshot (at least I think I have).

Hope this helps.

Nancy

Well, Nancy... That does the job! (Your screen shot didn't attach to your posting, but don't worry about it. Your explanation is clear.) It isn't such an awful work-around, really. (I should have thought of it myself.) Until "Accents for Tags" are built into the base product - which will probably be a long time in coming - I can live with this.

Thanks-a-million for your suggestion! :)

»»» Now, if we could only get a programmer to raise or eliminate that lousy artificial limit on the number of Accent Conditions that can be set (16 + the default), I could get creative. However, I've used them all up. Oh, well. (I am keeping my fingers crossed that Version 7 will permit more.)

Best regards,

Earl