robinkaspar

TMG and Mac/Parallels

I'm having one problem and I suspect it's a Parallels issue but wanted to check with y'all first and see if anyone else has experienced it and has any advice:

I can't backup to CD. Windows XP recognizes my disc in the drive, but TMG doesn't see it and won't write to it. So for now I am backing up to the server. This CD by the way is the one I had been backing up to when I used a PC. I tried a new CD-RW disc but TMG doesn't recognize it either.

I'm using TMG v. 6.12 Gold, Windows XP Home and Parallels build 3214 on a MacBook Pro. Another thing to note is that with the old backup CD in the drive, Windows Explorer won't show me the file list.

Thanks in advance,

Robin in Short Pump

No, its a Windows issue. Windows does not natively allow programs to write to CDs. There are some third-party solutions that allow CDs to be seen as regular writable drives. But the simplist solution is to do the backup to a hard drive and then copy it to the CD.

No, its a Windows issue. Windows does not natively allow programs to write to CDs. There are some third-party solutions that allow CDs to be seen as regular writable drives. But the simplist solution is to do the backup to a hard drive and then copy it to the CD.

But I've been regularly backing up my TMG data upon exiting the program to various CD-RW discs under Windows XP (on my old Gateway machine) for years. So I had an expectation that I'd still be able to do that on my MacBook Pro under Parallels. I haven't had any other problems running TMG this way.

Further testing and poking around shows that any CD I put in the drive looks like a blank disc to Windows, so it must be a Parallels problem. I'm also going to try backing up to a thumb drive and see if that work for me as a remote backup device.

Robin in Short Pump

See this article in the Parallels KB :book:

Item #8

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?...ghlight=burn+CD

It might provide some insight into problem.

I expect you will have to save the .sqz file to hard drive and then burn to CD as Terry suggests.

Also if inserting a blank CD, do that AFTER starting the virtual machine.

Edited by ggilbert1

But I've been regularly backing up my TMG data upon exiting the program to various CD-RW discs under Windows XP (on my old Gateway machine) for years.

That means your Gateway machine has software on it to allow applications to use the CD drive as a regular writable drive, as I described above.

Further testing and poking around shows that any CD I put in the drive looks like a blank disc to Windows, so it must be a Parallels problem.

I don't know what might be the cause of that. But getting Windows to read the drive still doesn't insure you can backup directly to it.

That means your Gateway machine has software on it to allow applications to use the CD drive as a regular writable drive, as I described above.

My husband and I were discussing this tonight on our way to dinner. I know that I had EZ CD Creator on my Gateway but I thought it was just for "formatting" blank CDs in order to prepare them to be written to. I didn't know that it was required in order for CDs to be continually re-written to. If it was running in the background, I obviously wasn't aware of it.

So I guess I will send my backups to the server when I'm at home and use a pen drive when I'm on the road (I tried the pen drive today and it worked just fine) and that's what's most important. Peace of mind.

Thanks Terry

Robin in Short Pump

See this article in the Parallels KB :book:

Item #8

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?...ghlight=burn+CD

It might provide some insight into problem.

I expect you will have to save the .sqz file to hard drive and then burn to CD as Terry suggests.

Also if inserting a blank CD, do that AFTER starting the virtual machine.

Thanks for this link. I was looking for something like this on their forum but couldn't find anything relevant. I don't understand a lot of what these people are talking about, maybe my husband does. At any rate, hopefully CD burning will be fixed on an update in the near future.

Robin in Short Pump