Guest Michael Dietz

How to print repository address?

Guest Michael Dietz

I have a repository with a "full" address, addressee, detail, city, county, state, zip, phone. I wish to have only the city and state print when I have [REPOSITORY ADDRESS] in a source output form sentence. So I have a location style of Repository with the output template of <City,> <State> assigned to that repository. However the complete address still prints.

How do I have only the city and state print when calling for [REPOSITORY ADDRESS]?

Thank you in advance.

Mike

You have no control over repository place parts in a source template.

You could exclude the unwanted place parts. You could create the place that you want in the memo field and use that rather than the [Repository Address] element.

You could exclude the unwanted place parts. You could create the place that you want in the memo field and use that rather than the [Repository Address] element.

I record all the details in the Repository Address, so that they are still readily available when viewing the repository information. However, I don't use the Repository Address field when printing reports. Instead, I add city and state as separate parts of the Repository Memo (city||state) and then reference these ([RM1], [RM2]) when setting up the sentence structure for my footnotes and bibliography. It works well for me.

Nancy

Guest Michael Dietz

Thank you Jim and Nancy.

I am using your suggestion with one alteration. I am using RM1, RM2, ... RM7 as conditional variables in the source output form. That way I am able to modify the citation(s) for all kinds of different location outputs including having the full address printed.

Mike

Thank you Jim and Nancy.

I am using your suggestion with one alteration. I am using RM1, RM2, ... RM7 as conditional variables in the source output form. That way I am able to modify the citation(s) for all kinds of different location outputs including having the full address printed.

Mike

Whoops!!! I just had a senior, brain freeze moment. I meant to say CM1, CM2, ... CM7. I understand that the CM1...CM9 is an undocumented feature and could be removed at any time. With my luck it will be in V7. Oh well, then I fall back on plan B which is Jim and Nancy's idea.

Again thank you

Mike

Whoops!!! I just had a senior, brain freeze moment. I meant to say CM1, CM2, ... CM7. I understand that the CM1...CM9 is an undocumented feature and could be removed at any time.

Citation memo parts? The Citation memo source element [CM] and elements for the citation memo parts ([CM1], [CM2], etc.) were added when the citation memo was added and aren't about to disappear. The citation memo is mentioned in Help under the Source Elements topic with no elaboration so it isn't undocumented but is poorly documented.

Are you talking about using [RM], [RM1], [RM2], etc. rather than [Repository Memo], [Repository Memo1], [Repository Memo2], etc. and that being undocumented? Both forms are found on the Source Elements screen and both forms are supported and that is not going to be changed. The Source Elements topic in Help needs to have Repository Memo added.

Guest Michael Dietz
Citation memo parts? The Citation memo source element [CM] and elements for the citation memo parts ([CM1], [CM2], etc.) were added when the citation memo was added and aren't about to disappear. The citation memo is mentioned in Help under the Source Elements topic with no elaboration so it isn't undocumented but is poorly documented.

Are you talking about using [RM], [RM1], [RM2], etc. rather than [Repository Memo], [Repository Memo1], [Repository Memo2], etc. and that being undocumented? Both forms are found on the Source Elements screen and both forms are supported and that is not going to be changed. The Source Elements topic in Help needs to have Repository Memo added.

Jim:

Thanks for the clarification on undocumented and poorly documented.

I am talking about the Citation Memo. That way I can control what is to be printed in the citation and I do it at the citation level and not the repository level. I did not want to use the Citation Detail since I think that has a different purpose, i.e., page numbers, etc.

Thank you

Mike

Mike,

For what its worth, I have learned to not fight TMG and take the easy route. I only enter info into the fields of the Repository Definition Screen that I want to print. Generally, this means entering info into the following fields only: Name - Other; City; and State (abbreviation only) - and Country, if applicable. I generally keep all info out of Addressee, Detail, County, Postal, Phone, & LatLong fields for the exact reasons you first mentioned.

Note: This is one of the only places exclusion markers don't work; the hyphen and text will print.

(I put the complete Repository info into the Memo field for personal reference, including things likes Fax numbers, website and e-mail addresses, contact names, etc.)

Earl

I only enter info into the fields of the Repository Definition Screen that I want to print. Generally, this means entering info into the following fields only: Name - Other; City; and State (abbreviation only) - and Country, if applicable. I generally keep all info out of Addressee, Detail, County, Postal, Phone, & LatLong fields for the exact reasons you first mentioned.

Note: This is one of the only places exclusion markers don't work; the hyphen and text will print.

Where do you find the exclusion marks don't work, Earl? They work fine for me - I regularly exclude some address elements in Repositories.

Are you perhaps looking at the source preview and seeing them there? The excluded material, and the mark itself, do appear there because the material may or may not print in reports, depending on whether or not you set the report to include excluded data. The mark is included to remind you that the appearance of the material in the printed note depends on the report setting.

Where do you find the exclusion marks don't work, Earl? They work fine for me - I regularly exclude some address elements in Repositories.

Are you perhaps looking at the source preview and seeing them there? The excluded material, and the mark itself, do appear there because the material may or may not print in reports, depending on whether or not you set the report to include excluded data. The mark is included to remind you that the appearance of the material in the printed note depends on the report setting.

Hi Terry,

My comments about the exclusion markers not working with Repositories was rash. Sorry. It was true that they did not work in versions 3, 4, or 5 because I clearly remembering fiddling endlessly with the issue and calling support about it years ago. - - When something doesn't work, I create a work-around solution, then, the old habit doesn't die.

I'm not going to test it in the current version. If you say it works now, I believe you.

Best regards, Earl