robinkaspar

Another "TMG under Parallels" question

I'm not necessarily looking for a solution to this, just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing.

I have a shared folder that is accessible from either Leopard or WinXP that is designated as drive Z. I am able to save backups to that drive without a problem, but I can't save reports to it. TMG says that drive Z does not exist. And what's weird is that I am able to browse and select the drive in the filename box.

I don't know if anyone else uses their computer like I do, but the reason for this shared folder is so that I can put documents into it from the Windows side that I need to email from the Mac side. I still can't burn my backups to CD directly from TMG, so DH is working on another method: saving my backups to this shared folder and running a folder action or script that will then copy the file to a CD on the Mac side.

Just curious how many of us TMG users run it under Parallels.

Robin in Short Pump

I use TMG on MacBook Pro / Parallels Desktop 3.0 Build 5160 / WinXP Pro SP 2 :cool:

I see the same issue, this can be resolved.

1. Shut down the Virtual Machine, but leave Parallels Desktop running.

2. In Mac Finder create a subfolder in Documents, I named mine TMG Reports.

3. In Parallels > Edit > Virtual Machine

4. Resource > Shared Folders

5. Enable User-Defined folders

6. Add [ + ] Name: whatever (this will be what shows up in your Parallels Shares) Path: Choose... /Users/your_user_name/Documents/TMG Reports (or whatever you named yours) Enabled checked

7. Map folders to drive letters checked

8. OK

9. Restart Virtual Machine

You will find a new network drive Y: (or whatever) and you should be able to write your reports directly from TMG to that drive.

As to burning a CD directly from TMG - that depends on what software one uses to burn CDs the built in Win XP Roxio(?) software isn't capable of of a direct burn from TMG to CD, it takes two steps, backup to hard drive, then burn the backup file to CD. I'm not even sure you can burn a CD from a Virtual Machine on the Mac, never tried. I expect writing the .sqz file to the Documents folder and then a burn to CD using the Mac software is the only way. Have not tried folder actions/script.

Thanks for your reply. I showed your process for setting up the shared folder to my husband and asked him if this is how he set mine up and he said no. So maybe we can look at setting up another one your way to see if I can save backups AND reports to it.

Regarding burning CDs: when I was on my Windows machine (WinXP), I always saved my backups directly from TMG to CD. I had Roxio software installed from the factory on that machine which I used to make blank CDs writeable but I was never aware that I needed to have the software in order to write to or read the discs after that. Does it load at startup and run in the background? We did not install the Roxio on my MBP thinking I'd use CD burning on the Mac side should I need it, I don't do it very often. But Parallels/WinXP on the MBP has not even been able to read my backup CD, it sees it as a blank disc. I guess I'll have to install the old Roxio and see if anything changes.

I saw something on the Parallels support forum where the support guy said back in July that PD does support CD burning, but he never came back to that thread with an answer to the poster's original question. So I don't know if it does or not.

Robin

I have an older version of Roxio - CD Creator 5, which has Direct CD, I don't use it anymore, but I think using it would permit a direct backup / burn from TMG to CD, I also think you have to finalize CDs created with Direct CD before they are readable in other drives & computers. Check the help file, one of the choices is close CD to read on any computer, and I think you'd have to do that to make the CD readable in the Mac drive. Perhaps this is the issue you are having with your CDs appearing blank when you load them in the Mac. I'm not sure about Direct CD loading at startup, but I it probably could be setup so it does and is the default action taken when you insert a blank CD.

There is also CD burning utility that is part of WinXP (I think it is a Roxio product as well) and it won't work directly from TMG to CD, thus the two step process, backup to hard drive, burn .sqz file to CD. CDs created with the built in WinXP burn utility will open on the Mac, and that is what I'd use if I didn't have a network.

Because OS X is controlling the hardware, I'm not sure you can burn a CD from a Parallels virtual machine running XP or any other operating system. So installing the Roxio SW in XP on the Mac is probably a waste of time. I could be wrong. :wacko:

:question: Not sure if CDs burned on the Mac will open in WinXP, never tried, actually don't think I've ever burned a CD with the Mac :shocking:

:sweat: OK 19:00 PST I just tested and a CD burned in the MacBook Pro WILL :thumbsup::thumbsup: open on PC - (Win XP Pro SP2)

Edited by ggilbert1