mairicam

Wishlist - Editing History & Automatic Living = N

I have two items on my wishlist:

I would like an editing history, where it shows what I have done to a person's record on a particular day. Something like a report list of ... editing history, that lists the things I have done, i.e added child, entered census, etc.

The other thing I would like is that when I add a spouse or parents to a person who is obviously deceased, that this new person's flag is automatically switched to N. I don't think that there is a filter anywhere that I can run, given that there are no dates for these people??

Marianne

I have two items on my wishlist:

I would like an editing history, where it shows what I have done to a person's record on a particular day. Something like a report list of ... editing history, that lists the things I have done, i.e added child, entered census, etc.

The other thing I would like is that when I add a spouse or parents to a person who is obviously deceased, that this new person's flag is automatically switched to N. I don't think that there is a filter anywhere that I can run, given that there are no dates for these people??

Marianne

An editing history file for TMG is a good idea, now that file space is so cheap. To see an on-line, dynamic genealogy database with a good "history of updates" to model from, go to:

http://geneweb.inria.fr/roglo?lang=en

No comment on setting flags when entering people with no dates. Without any dates, what is obvious? Estimating birth years has been discussed in this forum recently (you can estimate a birth year and add a following "?" to show that the date is made-up and not true data).

Best wishes,

Mike Talbot

For many years I have used the L10 field on a tag entry screen for the day's date - yy/mm/dd (the day I enter - or perhaps modify - the information). Quick and easy with F3.

This gives me an editing history of sorts, but seriously clutters the Master Place List with a lot of unique entries - a compromise I've been willing to make for the benefit of knowing what data I entered when. I have suggested a non-place sortable field on the TES for this purpose. Not a full-fledged editing history, but with the hope it might be more simple to implement.

Virginia

I'm not sure what you mean by "obviously deceased" and I suspect that is the key to this being a workable idea. Simply the fact that their deaths are recorded wouldn't be sufficient, as many dead people could have living spouses or parents. But if you mean the person died say 100 years ago or more, I can see this could work.

In the meantime there are two solutions you could use. One is to add the Living flag to the Add person screen, and manually change it to N when appropriate. That's what I do.

Also, John Cardinal's TMG Utility has a feature to set the Living flag to N based on logic of this sort. So you could run it and set the Living flag for those already entered.

For many years I have used the L10 field on a tag entry screen for the day's date - yy/mm/dd (the day I enter - or perhaps modify - the information). Quick and easy with F3. This gives me an editing history of sorts, but seriously clutters the Master Place List with a lot of unique entries
Virginia,

I found an idea for tracking edits recorded in my notes (but have not tried it myself) of citing a special pseudo "source" that was marked excluded. If you are a "splitter" you could use a different "source" for each editing session, or a "lumper" and a single "Edit Tag" source with the date (and maybe a comment) in the CD using F3. As a "lumper" I think I would use the latter, with the ability to just keep adding to the list of dates in the CD as a running record of modifications. Either method lets you use "List of Citations" filtered for either a particular one of your many editing session "sources", or filtered for the single "source" that also contains the desired date in the CD. This would list events marked in this way as edited on that date.

Hope this gives you ideas,