Roich

Book Manager

Hi,

I'm embarrassed to say I can't figure out how to open a "book." I have all kinds of files with .rpt extensions in the reports directory, but don't know how to open one. I don't see any way to open one via TMG either.

Thanks,

Rich :wacko:

Rich,

You can access the Book Manager screen from Reports, Book Manager. As with everything else in TMG there is probably at least one other way to do it.

If you have saved a "book" definition then it will have an extension RPB and you can select any previously saved "book" from within Book Manager.

The files with extension RPT which you refer to are Report definition files. They can be opened / selected from within the report type where they were saved. Each report has a default definition (name of the report.rpt) but you have the ability to save others with any name you select.

Hope this makes enough sense to head you in the right direction.

Edited by nbradley

Thanks for the reply!

OK, I'm still missing or misunderstanding something, so let me start from scratch. I open book manager; create a new book so it shows in the current book field; I select Ahnentafel, Decendancy Narrative; journal report as books in my report; make sure output is a file (I named them BM 1, 2, and 3.doc); click print & save; it does its' thing; finished. I don't see any way to open this book, Henry Brown 3, so I go to Start, explore, go to programs/TMG/reports, and I find:

Henry Brown 3.rpb; Size 1KB; Type RPB File.

BM 3.doc

Journal Report.rpt

BM 2.doc

Descendancy Narrative.rpt

BM 1.doc

Ahnentafel.doc

I have 3 separate files, not a "book." Any idea on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Rich :wacko:

You are not doing anything wrong. There is no single file called Book. The Book Manager provides a way for you to run a series of reports in a specific sequence which you can gather into a 'book'. You would open your reports (BM 1.doc, etc.) in Word and compile them there as you wish.

Each report definition is saved as a .rpt file; the sequence and types of reports you choose in the Book Manager is saved as a .rpb file so you can run that same sequence of reports again. Your actual reports are saved as .doc files since you selected Word for your report output.

See Help > Book Manager to understand how this works.

Virginia