stlsailor

Non-English Characters

I have a family member born in Târgu Mureş, a city in Romania. I have used the windows character map to copy the character and paste it. I have typed it into Word and then copied and pasted it. Every time it still shows as Târgu Mure? If I read the help file correctly, the copy and paste should work, but it does not seem to. How can I get the correct character into the tag?

STLSAILOR

I have a family member born in Târgu Mureş, a city in Romania. I have used the windows character map to copy the character and paste it. I have typed it into Word and then copied and pasted it. Every time it still shows as Târgu Mure? If I read the help file correctly, the copy and paste should work, but it does not seem to. How can I get the correct character into the tag?

STLSAILOR

Hi,

It seems that you have run into the problem that the database TMG is built upon does not support Unicode or UFT-nn code. There are several threads concerning this problem in this group.

REgards

Helmut

Hi,

It seems that you have run into the problem that the database TMG is built upon does not support Unicode or UFT-nn code. There are several threads concerning this problem in this group.

REgards

Helmut

Thanks. Now that I know to search on Unicode I see the threads. The keywords I searched on before just didn't connect.

For me this is a minor frustration, but for a genealogy program it seems like it is a huge hole given that many families would have numerous foreign members which might require this. However if Visual FoxPro doesn't support unicode, I don't know what can be done.

From what I read there will not be a Visual FoxPro 10. I take this to mean that Microsoft has presented a dilemma to users like Wholly Genes, forcing them to rewrite in a supported language or else not have access to unicode and other things that may come along. Does anyone know what plans WG has announced, if any, in this regard?

2015 looks like the drop dead year for Visual Fox 9. In the meantime, Mickeysoft is playing with Fox extensions called Sedna, probably forcing use of Sequel Server.

There *IS* SP2 for VF9 which came out in September.

Here's a list of the bugs fixed, but I don't see Unicode in there. :o

http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/f..._BugFixList.htm

The only problems I have had so far directly with Unicode is some gedcoms that have used UTF-8. I have to load them into wordpad and save them as ascii before an import.

I know what you mean with foreign extended characters. I hope that something works one of these days. Fortunately, the few Teutonic characters I need are available in most standard fonts.

Edited by retsof

There appear to me to be 2 possible solutions at present. :mellow:

The first is to emulate the accents/diacritics of Unicode using a font such as AlaBas for either Windows or Macintosh. That can be downloaded at http://quod.lib.umich.edu/b/bas/help/dowfon.htm. :unsure: The downside is that various screens do not recognize the AlaBas ALT-0128 to ALT-0255 range since it is not a Windows-x type codepage.

The second method is to upgrade from Visual FoxPro 9.0 to Visual Studio :rolleyes: , since .NET does support Unicode, whereas .COM does not :wacko: .

The satisfactory implementation of either method requires having a license for VFP 9.0, since Microsoft will not deal with end users, especially ones like myself who do not live in the USA.