depke

V7 Installation Problem

However "preachy" this post may appear, it is quite apparent that many users are quilty of failing to "Read the Manual"

Were they to do so, they would read that "TMG V7 IS NATIVE TO THE MISCROSOFT VISTA OS", using any other OS version may and has caused a miriad of install issues as posted here. !

As Terry says, TMG v7 is designed for Vista, XP and Windows 2000.

See this thread from Bob Velke announcing the release - particularly the comment 'The Master Genealogist v7.0 is native to Windows Vista but is also designed for Windows 2000 or XP.'

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...ost&p=33921

Microsoft will end support for Windows XP SP 2 on April 14th 2009. There may well be another new MS OS even surpassing Vista by then.

Developers and retailers will be moving on as they always do when MS issues a new release and so will knowledgeable users choosing to be current.

How many TMG users are still stuck in V5 ? How many more are upgrading to V7 ?

In the PC hardware/software world, remaining current and relevant, is the name of the game.

What you say is correct. However it does not change the validity of the statement from Bob Velke that 'TMG v7 is designed for Vista, XP and Windows 2000.' :)

And not everyone feels the need (or possibly can afford) to constantly upgrade. If a person is happy to use an earlier version of a product because it meets their needs, and they are willing to accept a possible lack of support from a developer, they are free to make that choice.

Hi.

I have read thru the discussions about installation problem with Administrator rights. I am having this problem too. I am running XP Home Edition of Winodws. What do I do????

Thanks in advance.

Marshall Burgess

Cary, NC

My clever husband spent hours on this today, and finally got my TMG7 installed. This is his solution:

When installing TMG V7 some users are getting the following error message.

"You do not have access to make the required system configuration modifications. Please re-run this installation from an Administrator account."

If you are already logged in to an account with Administrator privileges then the problem may be caused by the following.

The problem with the registry permissions seems to be caused by changes made by certain security programs. While these security programs are active they intercept registry changes and ask if you wish to grant access to the installation program. Some security programs however do not remove the changes they made to registry permissions if they are uninstalled and users then run across these access errors.

DISCLAIMER: The following is a method I use to reset the permissions in the registry.

I have used the procedure on many computers without problems but will not be liable for any problems caused by this procedure so you must accept that you follow these instructions at your own risk.

You must have one of these systems to use this method.

Windows 2000 Professional

Windows 2000 Server

Windows 2000 Advanced Server

Windows 2000 Datacenter Server

Windows XP Professional

Windows Server 2003, Web Edition

Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition

Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition

Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition

Download subinacl.msi from

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en

Right click on subinacl.msi and left click on install

Allow it to install to the default folder

C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools

Open Notepad and paste the following lines into the Notepad window.

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f

subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f

Save the file as "reset.cmd" in the same folder as above

C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools

(You must include the quotes or Notepad will call it reset.cmd.txt)

If you do end up with reset.cmd.txt simply rename it to reset.cmd

Go to the above folder and Double left click on the reset.cmd icon to allow it to reset the permissions in your registry. It will take up to 10 minutes to run. Now install TMG again.

Microsoft will end support for Windows XP SP 2 on April 14th 2009. There may well be another new MS OS even surpassing Vista by then.

Developers and retailers will be moving on as they always do when MS issues a new release and so will knowledgeable users choosing to be current.

How many TMG users are still stuck in V5 ? How many more are upgrading to V7 ?

In the PC hardware/software world, remaining current and relevant, is the name of the game.

Staying current with respect to software is not always the best solution for everyone.

I am still using UFT as my main genealogy program. It was designed to run under Windows 3.1 but still runs well under Vista. It has several features that I use regularly that are significantly better than TMG, and I have requested a couple of them on this forum as well as to Bob personally. Although I have not downloaded v 7 yet, I have seen no sign of them in the "new features" lists.

Another benefit of using obsolete software is speed. As TMG expands, it seems to keep the same, fairly slow, response time on the then-current hardware. UFT had the same speed issues when it first came out, over 10 years ago, but with current hardware, most commands (change of focus person, searches, event displays, etc) are almost instantaneous, as is initial startup.

Another benefit of such old software is the ability to execute UFT off a regular USB Flash Drive. That means I have regular access to all my genealogical data in my database, even on many computers that are locked down to reduce the chance of user modifications.

I have made good use of TMG for several charts and reports. I have also been modifying my UFT data to improve the import into TMG. However, much of the data entry that I currently do in UFT would take significantly longer in TMG, and I would loose several features that I find quite useful.

I fully expect to fully move to TMG some day. It may be when I have to get a computer with an operating system that no longer supports UFT. Or maybe Bob will add the missing features I think are important. I would even put up with the slower response times to get some of the nifty features not in UFT. However, for the time being I will just experiment with TMG but stick with UFT.

Pierce

Pierce

Elletee, thanks to your hubby for offering the solution to reset permissions in the registry. That worked on my XP Prof system. I tried the one suggested by Blombie but it did not work on my system. It would be good for WG to post a suggested fix under the FAQ since other users will encounter this issue. Thanks again. :D