nrbsr

Bug in Desendant Journal

Problem with Children list in journal reports (descendant only)

Journal Report

Style – Custom

Direction – Descendant (Ancestor direction works correctly)

TAGs tab

Format:

He was born in 1861; Reads spouse w/parents and customizations correctly

born 1861; Shows only spouse name

b. 1861; Shows only spouse name

X He was born in 1861

Stephen Winchell was born on 13 Aug 1677. He married, at age 20, Abigail Phelps, age 31 (widow of David Marshall), daughter of Samuel Phelps and Sarah Griswold, on 10 Mar 1697/98 in Windsor, Hartford Co., Conn. He died on 18 Dec 1725 at age 48

X born 1861

Stephen Winchell, born 13 Aug 1677; married Abigail Phelps; died 18 Dec 1725.

X b. 1861

Stephen Winchell, b. 13 Aug 1677; m. Abigail Phelps; d. 18 Dec 1725.

Norb,

What's the problem? The second and third options are designed to give only a brief description of children who are shown separately in their own sections. Leaving out the parents of the spouses seems consistent with that.

New in TMG 7 is the ability to also use this same brief description to all children if you like.

Under the Format Options in Abreviated events for children the first choice prints correctly while the second and third choice truncate marriage information and the marriage date is missing.

The 3 choices in the Format options correctly follow accepted genealogical publishing standards in various genealogical journals.

1. He was born in 1861: born in; married in; died in; buried in

2. born 1861: born; married; died; buried

3. b. 1861: b.; m.; d.; bur.

Re-defining these standards to exclude information and dates would not be consistent with these standards.

Journal Report - Descendant

TAG tab:

Abreviated events for Children:

Include only:

X Birth

X Marriage/Divorce

X Death

X Burial

If "All Children" is selected marriage information is truncated in choice 2 & 3 for all children in the list

If "Only children that are carried forward" is selected it only effects those carried forward

Format options:

1. He was born in 1861:

She married Sergt. Jonathan Holcomb, son of Nathaniel Holcomb and Mary Bliss, in 1695.

2. born 1861: (Marriage information truncated and marriage date missing)

married Sergt. Jonathan Holcomb;

3. b. 1861: (Marriage information truncated and marriage date missing)

m. Sergt. Jonathan Holcomb;

Using the same journal report settings in the Ancestor or Reverse direction the Abreviated events for Children options are still available but I have not found any effect in the output. Maybe I just haven't found it yet but if they have no effect in the Ancestor direction they should probably be grayed out.

The 3 choices in the Format options correctly follow accepted genealogical publishing standards in various genealogical journals.

1. He was born in 1861: born in; married in; died in; buried in

2. born 1861: born; married; died; buried

3. b. 1861: b.; m.; d.; bur.

When you specify on the General tab that the Journal is to follow the styles of any of the three journals listed, only the first option is available.

Re-defining these standards to exclude information and dates would not be consistent with these standards.

Norb, where do you find that the second and third styles are "accepted" by the various journals?

TMG seems to be offering them as custom styles, not as standard styles, and has chosen to provide only minimum information when those styles are used. There is no change here from TMG6, and I'd guess from prior versions, though I can't get the report to complete on TMG4.

Why do you think omitting the dates and other details from the marriage is a bug? Details entered in the Memo or the Sentence for the birth, death, and burial tags is also omitted - the whole idea of these two options is to provide a brief overview and not all the details.

Using the same journal report settings in the Ancestor or Reverse direction the Abreviated events for Children options are still available but I have not found any effect in the output.

I see the same thing. I think that is a bug, and will report it.