pete run

NOT export to the GEDCOM the SOURCE ABBREVIATION

I'd often wondered why, when I sent a GEDCOM out of TMG to ROOTSWEB I got the SOURCE ABBREVIATION as well as the SOURCE TITLE displayed. This does make the Rootsweb source look a little cluttered and repetitive. It is of no great importance but annoyed me enough to look into it further.

Having looked at Terry's TMG Tips, "Considerations for Exporting Sources", I think I understand why now.

So, although the SOURCE ABBREVIATION is not actually a TMG source element, it gets put into the GEDCOM with everything else, and from my reading of the article, and using the GEDCOM export facility, I can't find a way of being selective regarding what parts of the SOURCE you can export.

Is there a way to NOT export to the GEDCOM the SOURCE ABBREVIATION, or any other part of the SOURCE?

There is no option NOT to have a SOURCE ABBREVIATION, TMG will not let you, and if it is too short/cryptic, it just makes things more confusing.

There is not an option to exclude the export of the Abbreviation. But you can exclude the import of the ABBR tag in WorldConnect.

Note from the table in the article you mention on my site that the ABBR tag is also used for the Short Title and Short Subtitle source elements. But I'd think excluding them as well would be a good thing.