Mike Talbot

TMG 7.0 upgrade

TMG 7.0 upgrade, comments and a small non-technical problem

I just upgraded from 6.12 to 7.0 as per instructions with absolutely no problems (download 30 day trial version on XP).

After completing the installation, there was little or no learning curve. My 80,000 folks and 10,000 exhibits from my old 6.12 dataset are all there in 7.0. They are editable and appear properly in all displays, reports and VCF charts tested, so far. Everything works as expected. Attaboy Wholly Genes!!!

Installation was a piece of cake, but took a loooong time to execute, about 2 hours. Most of the time was consumed after the install and on the first execution after reboot. An item called “updating names” took over an hour (3.4 GHz Pentium 4). No big problem, as that is a one time deal.

The only trouble came trying to order and pay Wholly Genes for the upgrade. The first question asked by the upgrade page is for the TMG 6 license number. I knew of nothing called a license number. TMG 6 or 7 “HELP” does not mention a license number.

After much time wasted, in desperation, I tried using the TMG 6 invoice number, then TMG 6 serial number, Bingo! It worked, the rest was easy. All of the technology was easy. Not so with the business end. Seems like this would be easy to fix (hint: replace the word license with "TMG 6 serial").

I intended to order a gift copy, also, but was too frustrated to cope with order entry questions about coupons, etc. Maybe, manana, it's late.

The WG e-mail with my new TMG 7 serial number, arrived instantly upon order. Unlock worked fine.

Another attaboy and many kudos. Best wishes,

Mike Talbot

Mike

I found the upgrade worked really well. I guessed that the license number was probably the serial number. I was interested to see the new serial number on the invoice page immediately I'd payed for the upgrade, before the e-mail arrived. I am enjoying using some of the new features - I like being able to to combine sentences at the local level, the Associates Window is great and I am working at completing the Data Entry Reminders. Well done Bob and the team.

Les

I'd simply like to echo this comment in saying I spent too much time trying to find a "license number" before I found this post.

It is unacceptable that there is such a descrepency in the information requested at installation and the information that is actually provided to customers.

license number = serial number = registration number = unlock code

You buy the program and get an email with the information that you need to unlock it. All information is in that email. You need to save that email and print a copy and put it in a place so that you can locate it in the future.

These sort of questions can immediately be answered by Support including retrieving lost registration information.

support@whollygenes.com

license number = serial number = registration number = unlock code

You buy the program and get an email with the information that you need to unlock it. All information is in that email. You need to save that email and print a copy and put it in a place so that you can locate it in the future.

These sort of questions can immediately be answered by Support including retrieving lost registration information.

support@whollygenes.com

I think the point is that TMG should be consistent in the use of one term rather than use what they, but not their endusers, consider equal variables.

I think the point is that TMG should be consistent in the use of one term rather than use what they, but not their endusers, consider equal variables.

I understand that. The problem is that so many things use that (and vary)... program, Help, website, different parts of the store, registration emails, etc.

I understand that. The problem is that so many things use that (and vary)... program, Help, website, different parts of the store, registration emails, etc.

We, as your customers, DON'T CARE. We *do* want to be able to BUY your product quickly and easily. All we're asking is that during the purchasing process, you identify that the SERIAL number = license #. Most software vendors TELL YOU WHERE TO FIND THIS INFO WHEN THEY WANT YOU TO BUY THEIR STUFF.

You aren't hearing your customers. We're hitting a speed bump where a simple edit to the purchasing process would take care of it.

And I know. I've worked in IT since 1980.

Thanks.

You are not my customers. You are Wholly Genes customers and if you want to talk to WG, you need to contact them directly as I said in your new topic.