leohare

Error running TMGv7 from User account

I successfully installed v7 on XP SP2 using the Admin account and selecting 'for all users'. When I start TMG from my user account, I receive the error "File access is denied c:\...\allusers\appln data\tmgv7\strings.cdx". If I start TMG from the Admin account, the program starts fine. I can't think that this is an install problem, more likely a config on my pc. My practice is to never run applications from the Admin account, only my user account, so I don't want to leave as is as a work around.

ideas??

Try uninstalling and install from your user account. Just respond to the UAC prompts as appropriate.

It also might matter whether you chose to install for all users or for a single user.

further update:

I uninstalled v7 through Admin account, changed the privileges on my User account to Admin, then through User account I installed v7 for current user; started TMG and ran fine. Then, updated my User account back to Limited, and was unable to start TMG, receiving same original error message "File access denied ...".

I'm going to do some more research on Admin and User accounts;

I don't believe that my User account should not have access to ...\allusers\... but who knows;

nevertheless, I wonder about the v7 design for install and run.

Resolved !

I'm not convinced this is the best solution, but it does work.

1. Login as Administrator account, and uninstall TMGv7; be sure to manually cleanup Application Data folders, Start...Programs menu items, desktop shortcuts, as the uninstall process does not.

2. Restart pc (to clean up all temp data), login in as Admin account, install TMGv7 for all users, do not start TMG, logoff Admin.

3. Logon as User account, start TMG. starts fine, does some initial setup, but cannot unlock (User account cannot update registry); logoff.

4. Login as Admin, update User account to Admin privilege;

5. switch to User, start TMG, unlock program; TMG starts fine; logoff.

6. switch to Admin, update User account to Limited privilege; logoff.

7. run TMG from User account.

So I am now able to run TMG from my User account, as I do all my applications, and safely keep my Admin account for program installs and computer maintenance.