Jims

source definition

I have entered all my data into version 4 but have not been active with TMG for a couple of years. In starting up again I realize that I should upgrade to version 7 and that I should review all that I have done in version 4 and correct any issues. I am now just knowledgable to get myself into serious trouble.

I have read several different ways to record census data and one creates a source definition that has state, city, county as separate items on the list of items in the bottom half of the screen. I have tried to create separate source elements for city, state and county and it appears successful. However it seem to put these into a group called address. When I select one (state) of these items it works as expected but when I go to select a second (city) it does not now appear on the list of selectable source elements. If I delete the first (state) then I can then see the other (state, city, county). As the commercial states I'm stuck.

Another thing that I have not figured out yet is if I select too many items in the lower half of the source definition screen and want to delete one I can't find any way to delete or erase one.

The source elements are aliases for source element groups. You can only use a source element group once per source.

Put another way, if you create custom source elements to be used in a single source, each must be created in a different source element group. You created all of your custom source elements in the same group so can only use one of those per source.

If editing the source, you remove a source element from the templates, the corresponding entry on the source screen will go away (unless it contains data).

Jim & Terry great answers. I learned enough to get myself out of trouble. The idea of fixed fields with alias's was great.

I did add one to many definitions or rename one to many fields on one source definition. I didn't see how to get rid of a field name once I selected it. Do i just ignore the name or just make it conditional in any output descriptions?

Thanks again and I will start to read the tutorials.

I did add one to many definitions or rename one to many fields on one source definition. I didn't see how to get rid of a field name once I selected it. Do i just ignore the name or just make it conditional in any output descriptions?

I think you are talking about Elements that appear on the General Tab after you either add them there, or enter them in the Templates.

As Jim B said before - don't do anything with them. Just close and re-open the Source Defintion and they will be gone, unless you have entered data in them. Even if they have data, they don't appear in any output unless they appear in the Templates.