Neil Reynolds

OLE2 Error during Installation

I finally today got around to downloading and installing the upgrade (and purchasing the upgrade code). I have installed with no problems on my portable, but when I try to install on my desktop (as per the license agreement) it get right the way through until it states "Updating System Configuration. Please Wait" and then shows the error: "The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\OLE2.DLL is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette."

I've tried copying the dll mentioned from the portable to the desktop (they have identical OS installed except of course drivers) to no avail. I believe that the issue is with another dll somewhere and that it's failing to register properly some ole objects that it contains. If I click OK I get the same error a second time and then after some time a third. Finally I get a message informing me of a successful install. However, all is not well. TMG launches but clearly has few, if any, controls registered as I get errors re missing objects when trying to open anything.

Any suggestions would be welcome as I'm now stuck on my portable until I can find a solution. Though I may simply carry on with v6 until I can get v7 working on both machines. At least it was installed alongside and not instead of v6!

Hi Neil,

I did an Internet search on your message and note that this error has been reported while doing installations of many different software packages. Those reports do seem to indicate that this error is caused by a problem with the DLLs on that particular operating system, so I don't believe it is a TMG error. Not sure what to suggest, but out of curiosity what OS are you running? (I am guessing XP, but what SP?) Were you doing the install with a login that had administrative privileges? What exact path did you choose for where TMG was installed? Since you seem comfortable with the rather advanced action of "messing" with system files and DLLs on your system, you might search the Microsoft site and follow their instructions on restoring a DLL from your OS install or recovery disk rather than from the other computer. I have also seen similar errors with the system file MFC42.DLL in the same folder. You might try restoring that DLL, but that is just a wild guess. Are your OS updates and Service Packs up to date? Often installing those will update any DLLs that may have problems. Finally, some people seem to have reported success installing other software packages that encountered this error by doing the install while the OS has been rebooted in "safe" mode. Otherwise, the only solution I have heard that seems to reliably resolve this is to re-install/restore the OS.

Hope this gives you ideas,