BoricuaSeeker

Document Management

Now that I have started collecting data and downloading pictures, scanned documents, notes.... I was looking at what methods people use to keep all this information organized.

I saw an application called Clooz 2 on the web and was just wondering if something like this is worth it. It seems like it would take a lot data entry but would probably pay off by being able to search for documents that you have stored instead of manually looking through folders on your computer or a file cabinet.

I only use TMG.

FIrst my filing cabinet on my computer looks just like the one besides my desk.

Each have:

Surname, Document type, Document

In the one by my desk, I have hanging file folders for each surname I am researching. I then have three ring folders for each document type. Inside those I file each document in protective sheets.

On the computer it looks like this:

Surname 1

Births

Deeds

Wills

Surname 2

Births

Marriages

Wills

Surname 3

Births

Mariages

In TMG, each source type has two source elements called FILE FOLDER and SOURCE NUMBER. In File Folder, I put the Surname, and Document type that matches the folders on the computer. In Source Number I put the TMG source number. On the first page of the folder, I have a Research log that records the TMG source number for each document.

I can move from TMG, to filing cabinet, to Computer scans, in any direction in seconds.

I acquired Clooz 2, but did not find it intuitive. I suggest you download the trial and see if it works for you. I use Nuance's Paperport to organize all my documents, genealogical or not. An older version is distributed with many scanners, and I think the full version is about $130, but no matter what other products I try, I always come back to Paperport.