mehall23

V6 Expired Trial Data

I played around with TMG over the holidays with the 30 day trial, setting up about 5 projects. Yesterday, in preparation for a trip to SLC, I decided to purchase it. However, the registration key is not unlocking my expired trial, which was version 6. Please tell me that my work (or my purchase) was not wasted and that I can access my previously entered data!

Thank you!

You purchased a key for the current version - TMG 7. You need to download and install that version, and your new key will work in it.

Now, the problem is, as described on the locked messages at the top of this forum, you need backups of your v6 Projects to get them into v7, using the Restore command. If you already have current backups, you are in good shape.

If you don't have them, I don't know if an expired trial version will make backups. If so, create them and use them to move your Projects into v7. If not, come back here and somehow we can figure out a solution.

You purchased a key for the current version - TMG 7. You need to download and install that version, and your new key will work in it.

Now, the problem is, as described on the locked messages at the top of this forum, you need backups of your v6 Projects to get them into v7, using the Restore command. If you already have current backups, you are in good shape.

If you don't have them, I don't know if an expired trial version will make backups. If so, create them and use them to move your Projects into v7. If not, come back here and somehow we can figure out a solution.

Terry,

Would resetting the computer's date to before the 30 day expirey date allow a backup to be created?

But if you do that, reset the date to the current one so you don't confuse other programs on your computer.

Pierce

A TMG backup file is a zip file with a filetype of "SQZ". You could probably make one pretty easily: make a zip archive that contains all the DBF, FPT and PJC files in the folder where your TMG v6 project is located. Change the filetype to "SQZ". Then see if TMG v7 will restore it. I think it will.

During the trial period, if you attached external exhibits, or customized reports, etc., the simple ZIP file I described above will not include those, at least as I described above. Including those takes a bit more work because you have to know how to create a zip file that includes folder information, includes the right files, and structures them as TMG expects. It's probably possible, but I am not sure I would even try.

I have successfully copied (directly) v6 custom toolbars (*.tbr), layouts (*.lo), and report configurations (*.rpt, *.vcc) to the appropriate folders in v7, so those should not be a problem. You may also want to include the filter files (*.flp, *.fle, *.flk, etc. - *.fl*) with your zipped project files or copy them directly to your project folder in v7. See v7 Help > Data File Storage for default locations of configuration, project, and other files.

Virginia