RPage6943

Establish existing database member as parent

I added a daughter to my TMG and forgot to attach her to her mother that already was entered. I tried to use ADD Mother but it doesn't allow me to use an existing member of the database.

Is there a way to assign the daughter to the mother without re-entering the daughter?

Thanks,

Ralph,

YES! Go to the Person View of the daughter. Double click on the word MOTHER. That will open a screen where you can 1) type in the ID number of the mother or 2) search for the mother in the Picklist.

Ralph, to put some context around the process that Teresa describes...

In TMG, relationships between parent and child are created by Tags - specifically Relationship Tags. Each Relationship Tag has two principals, the parent and the child. The Relationship Tags for a child's primary parents appears in the names box at the top of the Details screen, labeled Father and Mother. What Teresa is telling you to do is to open the Relationship Tag for the mother and enter the mother's ID# in that Tag.

When you look at the parent's Details view, the same Tag appears in the main tag box, labeled Son or Daughter.

When you add a new parent or child, the Add Person screen creates the Relationship Tag for you, in addition to creating a Name Tag, and ususally Birth and Death Tags. But it's still the same Relationship Tag being created as you create manually when you link people already in your data set.

Thanks so much Teresa and Terry. I knew it had to be easy but I was stumped.

BTW, Terry, thanks also for your suggestions for census data, I use your split CD method and it works very well for me. Plus the new V7 TMG makes it much easier by providing the list of previous sources so I don't have to cut and paste the split CD's on subsequent cites.

-Ralph

Thanks so much Teresa and Terry. I knew it had to be easy but I was stumped.

You're welcome, Ralph.

BTW, Terry, thanks also for your suggestions for census data, I use your split CD method and it works very well for me. Plus the new V7 TMG makes it much easier by providing the list of previous sources so I don't have to cut and paste the split CD's on subsequent cites.

Actually, that list of previous citations has been available for a long time, but you had to use F3 or Ctrl-F3 to access it. I see that there should have been a "Tip" on my census page reminding readers about that. I'll add it. In v7 there is a button to make that easier.

And, for those cases where you are creating a new citation to a census after using other source types for a long enough time so that no census citation appears on the list of previous citations, be sure to add notes to the Reminder as I suggest in the article.